The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pinto Beans (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22258)

thillin 11-30-2006 05:40 PM

Pinto Beans

Thinking of doing some pintos tomorrow. Due to my good crockpot being packed, I have my smaller one to use. Can I half the recipe without changing any cooking times? Plan on 1/2 pound instead of a pound. I want to do the recipe for Texas Pit Beans from Peace, Love & BBQ.

Bigmista 11-30-2006 05:59 PM

Yup. Cooking time should stay the same. Can't ever remember having overcooked pintos. Long as there is liquid in the pot, you won't hurt em.

tumpedover 11-30-2006 10:17 PM

beans

ain't no such thing as overcooking pinto beans...that is as long as that afore mentioned liquid is in the pot. The longer the better I say.
john

tommykendall 12-01-2006 09:04 AM

I want the recipe.

thillin 12-01-2006 11:57 AM

I went ahead and doing the whole batch. It filled up the smaller crockpot. Only issue is, recipe calls to be cooked on medium for 6-8 hours. Mine has low and high. Should I switch back and forth?

thillin 12-01-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykendall
I want the recipe.

Check your PM.

Bigmista 12-01-2006 12:07 PM

I would go low and leave them on all day.

willkat98 12-01-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

I want the recipe.

You want beans?

I'll give you beans!

http://www.bbqblanton.com/bbqbeans.h...%20Pit%20Beans

I'd try nearly all 23 recipes on that site.

In fact, the Spicy Jalepeno recipe is next on my list.

Grumpy's Q 12-01-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

I want the recipe.

Me too!

So your moving back to this side of town! :mrgreen: Cool I smell trouble brewing!

Bigmista 12-01-2006 01:22 PM

Hmmm...

I have a smoked turkey leg and neck leftover from Thanksgiving. Might be time for a pot of beans...

thillin 12-01-2006 01:26 PM

Here is the recipe from the book.

Vencil's recipe from The Taylor Cafe'

1 pound dried pintos
2 cups minced yellow onion
1 cup chopped bacon
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

Wash and sort beans. Soak overnight.

Drain and rinse beans. Put them in a large pot. Add onions, bacon, chili powder and salt. Caover with cold water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally.

For crockpot, prepare as above, but add 6 cups of water. Cook on medium 6-8 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans covered.

Jorge 12-01-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thillin
Here is the recipe from the book.

Vencil's recipe from The Taylor Cafe'

1 pound dried pintos
2 cups minced yellow onion
1 cup chopped bacon
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt, finely ground

Wash and sort beans. Soak overnight.

Drain and rinse beans. Put them in a large pot. Add onions, bacon, chili powder and salt. Caover with cold water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally.

For crockpot, prepare as above, but add 6 cups of water. Cook on medium 6-8 hours. Add water if needed to keep beans covered.

I know that recipe. The place isn't what it used to be, but the beans weren't bad the last time I was there and they used to be incredible!

tumpedover 12-01-2006 02:52 PM

Vencil's Slow Beans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorge
I know that recipe. The place isn't what it used to be, but the beans weren't bad the last time I was there and they used to be incredible!

Try them Beans with a smoked Hock or somthin' smoked in it.. add a couple bay leaves and enough cayenne to suit yo taste.I also like 'em a little mo' salty... so if'n yo smoked meat ain't salty add some mo' salt. I'm also partial to a little ground cumin in my pintos.
John

ghostrider 12-01-2006 04:55 PM

no chilli powder cilatro? beer? NO BEER? those aren't texas beans

Jorge 12-01-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumpedover
Try them Beans with a smoked Hock or somthin' smoked in it.. add a couple bay leaves and enough cayenne to suit yo taste.I also like 'em a little mo' salty... so if'n yo smoked meat ain't salty add some mo' salt. I'm also partial to a little ground cumin in my pintos.
John

The sausage served on top of the beans at the Taylor Cafe has plenty of salt8-)