The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2014 Camping Challenge (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195236)

mike-cleveland 08-05-2014 11:04 PM

2014 Camping Challenge

Going camping/fishing August 9-11th. Camp check-in is 3 PM on Saturday and check out is 3 PM Monday. So I need the following

Saturday dinner
Sunday breakfast
Sunday lunch
Sunday dinner
Monday lunch

5 meals

Your equipment:

A crappy brinkman smoke n go
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann...1?N=5yc1vZbx92

A campfire!!!

A cast iron 10" skillet!!!

You provide the meat/dish ideas. I attempt to cook them and provide glorious photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonus ingrediants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oakridge BBQ Black Ops and HDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boxing:

peeps 08-05-2014 11:13 PM

Last time I went camping, I made pecan smoked bourbon pecan pie, a lamb loaf, some naked breakfast fatties, and some chicken thighs.

Go for a meatloaf. Make it up ahead of time and vac-seal it ready for the smoker.

For breakfast, do some naked fatties and biscuits. Add eggs in the CI if you like.

Smoke Dawg 08-05-2014 11:17 PM

You gotta be cooking some fish!

mike-cleveland 08-06-2014 12:15 AM

Peeps, a lamb loaf, is that a ground lamb?

retired trucker 08-06-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike-cleveland (Post 3015825)

Litle Bo Peep has lost her sheep, and now we know where it wound up! "BAD FORM" dad! :doh:

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

rumproastiltskin 08-06-2014 12:47 AM

Ok - I'm in.

Meat: 3 lb Chuck roast, whole chicken, plenty of eggs (as many as you'll eat), 4 lbs bacon, 2lbs sausage, and as many pork ribs as you think you can eat. Also fish - go ahead order some House Autry breading if you can't get it nearby (Amazon). Breading as mentioned here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=188298

Saturday dinner. Apply dry rub to the chuck roast and let it sit while you set up camp. Find some oak/hickory/maple trees and grab some green twigs. Fire up your Brinkmann, throw in the twigs, and grill your chuck until it feels done the way you like it. Eat what you can and save the rest for tacos.

Sunday breakfast. Hopefully you rolled a bug fatty before you left. Throw that on the brinkman, fry up fine eggs, pack your lunch, and go fishing.

Sunday lunch. Slice up your leftover chuck and foil it. Chop some onions and cilantro and mix in some grease left over from your fatty - foil the mix. Take some tortillas and cholula and go fishing. If you want your tacos hot, take your cast iron abd plan to build a fire - but only heat the tortillas and the meat ad the rest should be cold.

Sunday dinner. If you caught fish, bread, fry, enjoy. If not - beer can chicken. Take can, insert in chicken's personal space, throw on brinkman until done.

Monday Breakfast. Ribs. Get up early, make ribs, go fish. Also, you probably have fatty leftover - enjoy.

Monday lunch. Bread and fry those fish. Eat leftovers.

peeps 08-06-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike-cleveland (Post 3015825)

you can google for various recipes. I used a 50/50 mix of ground lamb and ground chuck with some herbs and spices. Smoked to an IT of 165 and sliced thin into pita bread with tzatziki, onions, and tomatos if you like them...

Garyclaw 08-06-2014 08:32 AM

^^^^^That sounds good, Peeps!

Where ya camping Mike?

DaveAlvarado 08-06-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garyclaw (Post 3015970)
^^^^^That sounds good, Peeps!

It was.

thirdeye 08-06-2014 09:04 AM

I try to make several meals ahead of time to simply save cooler space, reduce garbage.... and have something very un-camping-like. These are either vacuum sealed and transferred to aluminum pans for reheating on campfire coals, or frozen in aluminum pans. Things like enchaladias, lasagna, chicken-n-noodles, Norco's Mom Rice to name a few.

I like cooking breakfast fresh and always seem to opt for breakfast burritos, they are just so easy and goooood. All the fixins like diced ham, sausage, bacon, onions, peppers, hash browns, cheese etc., are all prepped and in separate zipper baggies. This way folks can pretty much get exactly what they want in theirs. A couple of pre-smoked fatties can be sliced and heat up easily to serve on the side. A handfull of blueberries or other fruit and a bloody Mary round it out.

I will take one or two items to grill... like steaks or chops (usually boneless ones) and my sides like potatoes, veggies and such are usually cooked hobo-style in foil pouches at the edge of the fire pit. Of course I do have a cast iron skillet, some corn meal fish fry and some oil to fry trout, and I can use some of the burrito toppings if I opt to cook trout in foil pouches.

reflynn 08-06-2014 09:14 AM

Well Mike I can't go camping anymore without making my Mnt Man Breakfast

Start with frying up the 2 lb bacon in the 12 Qt dutch oven,
remove bacon leave grease, add 1/4" - 1/2" chunks of red skin taters, about 5 lbs +/- fry till brown or browning, add 1 finely diced green pepper, 1/2 finely diced red and yellow pepper, seasoning, mix well, now add bacon back to the mix, and pour in 1 - 1 1/2 dozen beat and seasoned eggs, continue mixing till egg mixture is cooked, add 1 lb cheese ( I preffer a nice shredded extra sharp cheddar), mix thouroughly and serve. Warning no-one leaves table with empty stomach.

mike-cleveland 08-06-2014 10:59 PM

I think I have a pretty good list of items to cook and will be incorporating the following:

Mains:
- Chuck roast (going to probably go with a nice thick 7 bone)
- Bacon (it goes with everything)
- Some sort of fatty meatloaf hybrid
- No one mentioned sausage but it will be there (besides a fatty)
- Fish (market availability)

Sides:
- Hash/potato dish
- eggs
- corn
- beans/chili
- Cheese in something or everything
- something with onions
- Sausage gravy

I will be shopping and prepping Friday.

Oh, almost forgot, we will be camping on the Ohio side of the Pymatuning campground.

hedge 08-06-2014 11:09 PM

breakfast: fatty and omelettes in a bag

mike-cleveland 08-06-2014 11:09 PM

There will be a chicken dish for the vegetarians.

bwodun 08-06-2014 11:58 PM

the first night i usually make a rabbit ragu over polenta, then the next morning the left over polenta gets fried in a pound of rendered bacon fat, then fry the eggs sunnyside up and serve family style, yummy