-   Brethren Road Trips (
-   -   Anyone familiar with Dickey's? Opinions? (

Brontoburger 06-17-2014 09:52 AM

Anyone familiar with Dickey's? Opinions?
We have a Dickey's Barbecue going up nearby. I'm not familiar with them. Yes, I know they are a chain but passable BBQ in southeast PA is hard to come by unless I do it myself. I'm familiar with Famous Dave's and didn't think they were too bad. Not great, just not too bad. How does Dickey's compare?

Brontoburger 06-17-2014 09:58 AM

Gah! Just saw the menu. Next to RIBS it says "FALLIN' OFF THE BONE!!!" (Oh, just breathe. Don't be a BBQ Nazi. Don't be THAT guy. Some people LIKE it that way. OOOHHHHH! Go to your happy place.:shocked:)

HossIsBoss 06-17-2014 10:07 AM

Had it once at the one here and that was enough. The food had very little smoke flavor and was dry.

Smokeoholic 06-17-2014 10:07 AM

The Dickey's here in Spokane is not very good.

Not even in a pinch.

Mikeinctown 06-17-2014 10:08 AM

Went there once and won't be going back. there is more smoke in the building than in the food.

I had the brisked and pulled pork. The brisket was so overcooked that it fell apart and looked like pulled brisket. the pork was OK. Girlfriend had the ribs. Not fall off the bone but I watched them pull them out of the hot box all wrapped in plastic. Considering we went at lunch, this didn't strike me as freshness. They originally forgot her sides and even after forgot her biscuit.We each had a couple sides. Beans sucked while the mashed potatoes were great. Sauces were pretty good. Our total bill for two people was over $35. To me that is way too much for what we got. Maybe your location will be better.

Last week I went to another chain called Old Carolina. A lot nicer inside and the brisket was done really good. $9 for brisket and two sides. I will be going back there again.

deepsouth 06-17-2014 10:08 AM

Ours here isn't bad in a pinch. It's not my BBQ, but it's not crock pot BBQ either.

deepsouth 06-17-2014 10:09 AM

I do find if a bit expensive as well.

bbq.tom 06-17-2014 10:09 AM

The only decent item that I've had at Dickey's down here in NC is their brisket - and that is only because we can't get decent brisket around here!

GMDGeek 06-17-2014 10:10 AM

I will never go back ... over priced, dry, chewy, and plain out lazy BBQ - if you can call it that.

Granted I am a BBQ snob ... there are very few BBQ places I will go eat at. I can do it cheaper and better at home.

sliding_billy 06-17-2014 10:25 AM

It is comparable to Famous Dave's. Freshness is an issue I have noticed, so either right at open or food that is made specifically for a catering job is better. I will not go to one (too many real options around here), but if it is brought in for a work luncheon or something it is edible.

SmokinJohn 06-17-2014 10:30 AM

Mark your calendar for 18 months out. Go back. The problem should have corrected itself.

Dickey's sucks.

Bludawg 06-17-2014 10:32 AM

I wouldn't feed that slop to my dog. However the Sweet tea is pretty good along with the pickled Jalepenos and the soft serve ice cream. They put one up in Waco it leased less than 6 months and there aint no good BBQ in Waco except for Rudy's and it is very marginal so what dose that tell ya.

Brontoburger 06-17-2014 10:40 AM

Ah hell, that's what I was afraid of.

Brian in Maine 06-17-2014 11:05 AM

We had one here in the mall food court for about 6 months. I went once, the pork was dry and tasteless, I didn't care for the beans, but the cheddar jalapeno sausage was very good. the onion strings were good too. I think with any chain it depends who is running it, and who is doing the reheating, as good Q can be ruined while being reheated.

NRA4Life 06-17-2014 11:05 AM

Dickeys BBQ - It'll push a turd and that's about all it is good for.