The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I found this in the shed (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186061)

LT72884 04-11-2014 03:42 PM

I found this in the shed
 
Here is a pic of some apple and other fruit woods. It has some green fuzzies on the outside of it. It was in there all winter and it was humid so it grew some mold on it. Should i still use it?

thanks

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...psee983337.jpg

JandJbuidasmoker 04-11-2014 03:44 PM

I wouldn't but... not sure either.

Yendor 04-11-2014 03:50 PM

I would burn it in a campfire, but not around food.

dadsr4 04-11-2014 03:54 PM

Let it set in the sun. The same mold spores are on all wood in your area. At most, remove the bark. It should burn off before the cooker temps stabilize, anyway.

Fwismoker 04-11-2014 03:58 PM

It's fine....fire kills all. If you want just blast it with a weed burner.

briananderson02 04-11-2014 04:02 PM

Wouldn't the problem with smoking/cooking with it be more that it's wet? I'd leave it out in the sun for a while to dry it out and then maybe scrape off the bark if I was dead set on using it.

LT72884 04-11-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briananderson02 (Post 2880085)
Wouldn't the problem with smoking/cooking with it be more that it's wet? I'd leave it out in the sun for a while to dry it out and then maybe scrape off the bark if I was dead set on using it.

oh yeah i have it in the sun ontop of the roof and it is drying out quickly. Asphalt shingles are great heaters haha.

thanks for the replies. i have plenty of other wood to use but just gettin the stuff ready. haha

wags 04-11-2014 04:39 PM

They look like zombie legs

LT72884 04-11-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags (Post 2880129)
They look like zombie legs

mmmm zombie legs..

castlepines 04-11-2014 05:18 PM

Are you sure the mold is only on the outside? If so, you might be okay scraping it off and using it with food. If not, and the wood is rotting, and the mold is also inside of it some, I would just toss it and not even use it on campfires. You don't want to breathe in mold spores. If I had plenty of other wood and it were me and my family, I would toss it.

Teleking 04-11-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castlepines (Post 2880174)
Are you sure the mold is only on the outside? If so, you might be okay scraping it off and using it with food. If not, and the wood is rotting, and the mold is also inside of it some, I would just toss it and not even use it on campfires. You don't want to breathe in mold spores. If I had plenty of other wood and it were me and my family, I would toss it.

Because the carcinogens off gassing in the wood smoke kissing your food for many hours is good for you? Run it!

Okie Sawbones 04-11-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2880079)
It's fine....fire kills all. If you want just blast it with a weed burner.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. :becky: In mossville WA, I have blasted a lot of apple wood with a weed burner. Works fine. :thumb:

TuscaloosaQ 04-11-2014 07:15 PM

I would use it in a heartbeat and never think twice about it

castlepines 04-11-2014 08:06 PM

It's not recommended by the EPA or various lung organizations.

Q Junkie 04-11-2014 08:30 PM

The Southern California Air Quality Board says that you should never allow any wood to combust as it will kill everyone within a 1 mile radius. However if you "must combust" just pay them a nominal fee and and no one will die.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.