The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Seasoning New Smoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185371)

jeffreywp1 04-03-2014 07:07 AM

Seasoning New Smoker

I'm picking up a new smoker:-D and will be seasoning it this weekend. What is the best oil to use and should I season the outside?

Thanks
Jeff

va_connoisseur 04-03-2014 07:13 AM

Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options

cmwr 04-03-2014 07:22 AM

10W-30 :wink: I wouldn't season the outside. Welcome to the Brethren! Good to have ya here.

TexasRT 04-03-2014 07:23 AM

Most people use the spray oil (Pam). Spray everything inside including racks. Try to stay right at 250 for at least the first couple of hours, this will help cure the new high temp paint also. Don't build a raging fire in the F/B to start. I was told this by my pit builder and the paint on my offset is lasting great, even on the F/B. Some people spray the outside also, some don't.

Mrfish 04-03-2014 07:28 AM

I use crisco. No sure what is in pam. Just the inside.

Drake 04-03-2014 07:52 AM

I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.

dwfisk 04-03-2014 08:12 AM

Any good food grade oil, crisco or lard; the higher the smoke point the better. I've found a generic brand spray canolla oil that I've been using for convenience. Flax seed oil is great but a little pricey.

AlwaysSmokey 04-03-2014 08:19 AM

I just hit the cook racks with a lil' spray oil,... buyer's choice. I let time and use season the inside, and I have never put anything on the outside of a smoker besides some touch up paint every now and then.
Congrats on the newbie. Thats always a good feeling.

Mister Bob 04-03-2014 08:22 AM

Pam works for me, but any food quality oil in a spray bottle would work just as well. LIke dwfisk said, the higher the smoke point the better.

sliding_billy 04-03-2014 08:31 AM

I like lard (wipe in with a rag). It really gets deep into the metal.

tsimm15 04-03-2014 09:36 AM

I've just gone with Pam and had no issues.

bimmerdad 04-03-2014 09:41 AM

I was wondering if you use the Pam on outside of the grill, is it okay to put a cover over the grill? Will the Pam somehow make the cover deteriorate faster? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by va_connoisseur (Post 2869226)
Welcome Jeff. What kind of smoker did you get?

I use a couple few cans of Pam on the inside. Some people use bacon grease, lard, etc. Depends a lot on the size of smoker. On the outside, again, I use high temp Pam.

I'm sure others will have different options

bbqgeekess 04-03-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 2869261)
I used vegetable oil in a spray bottle for the inside. I just started seasoning the outside. On the outside I used mineral oil. Thats what I use on my cast iron and works great and looks good so far.

Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)

THoey1963 04-03-2014 10:38 AM

We used to by generic spray bottles sold in bathroom and home sections of your grocery stores. We used this for tanning and put baby oil and water in it. It sprayed fine.

Drake 04-04-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqgeekess (Post 2869444)
Where do you get your spray bottle to spray oil? I've tried it before and the oil didn't spray out very well :)

I got it at the grocery store where I bought the oil. I think it was in the section with all the oil but Im not sure. It was one of the tall bottles not the little short ones. Picked it up for a buck. Worked great