The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Inexpensive cut of Beef for Kabobs? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184561)

MS2SB 03-24-2014 11:58 AM

Inexpensive cut of Beef for Kabobs?
 
I made up some kabobs last night using some bottom round that I cut up into about 1.5" x 1.5" cubes and grilled it up on some skewers with bell pepper, onion and yellow squash.

The flavor was great, however the meat was pretty tough, it probably could have been cooked a little less, but even if it were med-rare this would not have been very tender.

What sort of cuts do you like to use for kabobs which are also fairly inexpensive. I'm sure that rib-eye, strip steak and tenderloin would work great, but I'm looking for lower cost options here.

Moose 03-24-2014 12:17 PM

Skirt steak works very well for kabobs and holds marinade quite nicely. And if you can find some hanger steak, you're in for a real treat!

Gore 03-24-2014 12:18 PM

I prefer flap meat or top sirloin for kebabs.

MS2SB 03-24-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 2854806)
Skirt steak works very well for kabobs and holds marinade quite nicely. And if you can find some hanger steak, you're in for a real treat!

I feel like skirt steak would be a little thin for kabob, no? Or do you cut it into strips and kind of thread it on to the skewer? Looking at some pics of hangar steak and it looks great, though I have never seen it around here.

ButtBurner 03-24-2014 12:21 PM

hangar steak

Moose 03-24-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS2SB (Post 2854817)
I feel like skirt steak would be a little thin for kabob, no? Or do you cut it into strips and kind of thread it on to the skewer? Looking at some pics of hangar steak and it looks great, though I have never seen it around here.

When I use Skirt/Flap meat, I use a piece that is pretty thick, and cut into squares, although you could also do it in strips if you like.

Looks like Bill the Butcher isn't too far from you, maybe give them a call and see if they have/can get you some hanger steak:

http://www.billthebutcher.com

Also, here's a post I did on my blog about Hanger Steak you might enjoy:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2013/7/2...d-hanger-steak

Demosthenes9 03-24-2014 01:06 PM

Top round or sirloin tip work well.

oldbill 03-24-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS2SB (Post 2854768)
I made up some kabobs last night using some bottom round that I cut up into about 1.5" x 1.5" cubes and grilled it up on some skewers with bell pepper, onion and yellow squash.

The flavor was great, however the meat was pretty tough, it probably could have been cooked a little less, but even if it were med-rare this would not have been very tender.

What sort of cuts do you like to use for kabobs which are also fairly inexpensive. I'm sure that rib-eye, strip steak and tenderloin would work great, but I'm looking for lower cost options here.

I've always used sirloin steak for kabobs. It's usually a little less expensive per lb. than rib-eye or NY strip and is usually pretty tender as well with the right marinade!:wink:

Untraceable 03-24-2014 01:49 PM

If you can find Chuck eyes... They are amazing med rare but also hold up to a higher internal than other cuts while remaining tender and flavorfull. Sucking having to balance your meat vs veggies doneness.

scp 03-24-2014 02:02 PM

sirloin....marinate for a few hours...lots of flavor and just the right amount of chew.

MS2SB 03-24-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 2854880)
When I use Skirt/Flap meat, I use a piece that is pretty thick, and cut into squares, although you could also do it in strips if you like.

Looks like Bill the Butcher isn't too far from you, maybe give them a call and see if they have/can get you some hanger steak:

http://www.billthebutcher.com

Also, here's a post I did on my blog about Hanger Steak you might enjoy:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2013/7/2...d-hanger-steak

Thanks Moose. Bill the Butcher is actually just down the street from my house, but I won't shop there. However, Golden Steer is just down the road from my office and they always treat me well. I think I'll try sirloin next as that's easiest to get ahold of and then try hangar.

aquablue22 03-24-2014 02:28 PM

I really like to use sirloin, marinates well and does not get chewy.

Carbon 03-24-2014 02:44 PM

I like flat iron and top sirloin.

MS2SB 03-24-2014 02:49 PM

I could definitely see flat iron steak working well if you can find one thick enough to cube up.

SmokeFan 03-24-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untraceable (Post 2854939)
If you can find Chuck eyes... They are amazing med rare but also hold up to a higher internal than other cuts while remaining tender and flavorfull. Sucking having to balance your meat vs veggies doneness.

Chuck eyes are a great less expensive cut! Fwiw, when I do kabobs, I do all the meat on one group of skewers, and all the veggies on another set of skewers. It might not look as nice, but it keeps each thing cooked perfectly, or as close as I can get anyway. :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.