The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoked Kielbasa and Shank Cassoulet (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181181)

CharredApron 02-07-2014 02:18 AM

Smoked Kielbasa and Shank Cassoulet

I have been wanting to try this dish for quite a while now. It is considered a staple meal of the locals and a favorite in my new region. Every market has a canned or jarred variety of their own and the authentic recipe according to Wiki
goes like this "The region once known as the province of Languedoc is the traditional homeland of cassoulet, especially the towns of Toulouse, Carcassonne, and Castelnaudary, the town which claims to be where the dish originated.[2] All are made with white beans (haricots blancs or lingots),[a] duck or goose confit, sausages, and additional meat. In the cassoulet of Toulouse, the meats are pork and mutton, the latter frequently a cold roast shoulder. The Carcassonne version is similar but doubles the portion of mutton and sometimes replaces the duck with partridge.[3] The cassoulet of Castelnaudary uses a duck confit instead of mutton.
In France, cassoulets of varying price and quality are also sold in cans and jars in supermarkets, grocery stores and charcuteries. The cheapest ones contain only beans, tomato sauce, sausages, and bacon. More expensive versions are likely to be cooked with goose fat and to include Toulouse sausages, lamb, goose, or duck confit."

Here is my version.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...ps13ab19b2.jpg

Thanks for lookin!

landarc 02-07-2014 02:22 AM

I love cassoulet, we only rarely made it, as the ingredients were pricey and it takes time. I'm a duck and sausage cassoulet guy

CharredApron 02-07-2014 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2795331)
I love cassoulet, we only rarely made it, as the ingredients were pricey and it takes time. I'm a duck and sausage cassoulet guy

I would have loved to add the duck confit but my wife doesn't care for it. Next time I make a batch of my own. It all started by finding a pressure cooker in the pantry that I wanted to try out on the beans. It worked like a champ and cut the time way down to complete!

sliding_billy 02-07-2014 02:51 AM

Getting fancy on us, huh? :wink: That looks magnificent!

Neil 02-07-2014 04:23 AM

Yummmmmm! :thumb::thumb:

Phubar 02-07-2014 05:00 AM

Tres bon monsieur!

Diesel Dave 02-07-2014 05:13 AM

Dang Jed as usual that looks afarkinmazing

CharredApron 02-07-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave (Post 2795356)
Dang Jed as usual that looks afarkinmazing

Got some left over Dave, get yer butt over here, I'll freeze it fer ya!

Diesel Dave 02-07-2014 06:17 AM

You have no idea how much I'd love to visit you Brother.
It just ain't in the cards...........yet

CharredApron 02-07-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave (Post 2795380)
You have no idea how much I'd love to visit you Brother.
It just ain't in the cards...........yet

Anytime you're ready we are too!

Diesel Dave 02-07-2014 06:35 AM

:thumb:

One day Brother, with the lil man on the way, I'm thinkin world travel may be on hold for a while.

Uncle JJ 02-07-2014 08:32 AM

Looks awesome! I've only made it once, and it called for a seasoned bread crumb crust on top. Is that not the way they do it over there?

IamMadMan 02-07-2014 09:41 PM

Wow, that looks great.....

cowgirl 02-07-2014 09:44 PM

Looks delicious Jed!

CharredApron 02-08-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 2796187)
Looks delicious Jed!

Thanks Jeanie, just finished another serving and it's better than the first. As usual a rest overnight in the fridge adds some depth of flavor.