The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Smokey Fred's in SoCal (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181004)

SmokinJohn 02-04-2014 01:35 PM

Smokey Fred's in SoCal
 
Going to make a trip Friday with my work buds....

...unless someone waves me off.....

Is Fred a brer?

http://smokeyfredsbbq.com/Home.php

Bbq Bubba 02-04-2014 01:55 PM

Never heard of them.

If in orange, definetly check out Smoqued BBQ.

It's the real deal. Tell the pitmaster Bubba sent ya!

gtr 02-04-2014 02:30 PM

I'm not familiar with them. Let us know how it goes!

DUBBAGA 02-04-2014 02:41 PM

Never heard of them. Have you ever been to Blake's Place in Anaheim before? I thought they were pretty good

SmokinJohn 02-05-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUBBAGA (Post 2792609)
Never heard of them. Have you ever been to Blake's Place in Anaheim before? I thought they were pretty good

I've been to Blake's (a relative of the owner is a friend of mine) several times, and it's gotten much better over the years. It has weathered the test of time, as at least two other BBQ places (both 1 mile up the road from Smokey Fred's) have come and gone.

SmokinJohn 02-05-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2792564)
Never heard of them.

If in orange, definetly check out Smoqued BBQ.

It's the real deal. Tell the pitmaster Bubba sent ya!


Smoqued is about 2 miles south of this place.

I keep telling myself I'm going to go. My neighbor raves about the place, and I know he's (the owner) a brer. The only problem is getting back on time. Maybe I'll wait for the boss to take a day off, then go. heh heh heh

SmokinJohn 02-07-2014 03:03 PM

So I went in two days ago, because I couldn't wait.

The Rib Tips were off the chain! Bit through and ate the cartilage. Not many places can say that.

He was out of mac and cheese that day....

But I took some friends with me today.

He opens at 10am, but he is out of brisket. Ran out last night. Steeeerike one...
He is out of Mac and Cheese and Potato salad.......Steeeeerike two....
We sampled (paid for) polska kielbasa, hot links and pulled pork....Foul tip

Verdict:

Not impressed. We might call ahead to see if he has brisket before driving down. BUt then again, we may just keep on driving down to Smoqued, where if they run out of brisket at night, they pull another one out of the cooler and start it up.

Note to CRocke: A number of people were there commenting on BBQ places that are here and that went away (Scotty's, Tulsa Rib, Blake's, Famous Dave's, Smoqued, Big B's, Burrell's) Two different people mentioned Rancho and wanted to know where you went. You have fans! Maybe I need to get some cards from you so I can pass them out when I am out tasting Q....

gtr 02-07-2014 03:16 PM

Thanks for the update. I just went to Swingin' Door in North Hollywood. We got tri tip, baby backs, and hot links (they said the brisket wasn't ready). I liked the hot links. As for the rest...nope.

DUBBAGA 02-07-2014 05:07 PM

I will be taking that one off my list. You really have to try Smoqued - it is a "fancied up" BBQ restaurant, but they take their food and beer seriously. I am obsessed with their 420 Mac and Cheese
Quote:

Originally Posted by DUBBAGA (Post 2603995)
Everything was delicious, especially my 420 Mac... look at that pile of cheesy goodness

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy60/DUBBAGA/420.jpg


Big Ace 02-07-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJohn (Post 2795827)
Note to CRocke: A number of people were there commenting on BBQ places that are here and that went away (Scotty's, Tulsa Rib, Blake's, Famous Dave's, Smoqued, Big B's, Burrell's) Two different people mentioned Rancho and wanted to know where you went. You have fans! Maybe I need to get some cards from you so I can pass them out when I am out tasting Q....

Burrells is still open. http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

CRocke is still around, but I think its catering only, no store front. http://www.ranchotogobbq.com/

SmokinJohn 02-08-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Ace (Post 2795992)
Burrells is still open. http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

CRocke is still around, but I think its catering only, no store front. http://www.ranchotogobbq.com/

Please don't get me started on Burrell's......:tape:

ETA:

For the record, here are the known BBQ places within a 20 mile radius of my job:

Dickey's (the probe slid in to the thickest part of the flat)
Lucille's
Big B's
Blake's
Famous Dave's
Smoqued
Smokey Fred's
Tulsa Rib Company
Tustin Roadhouse
Burrell's
Johnny Reb's (yeah, yeah I know, but they claim they smoke their food)
Wood Ranch (same thing)

I have not, as yet, visited Tulsa Rib or Smoqued.

I did sample Rancho to go's pulled pork one time. Mrs SJ never lets anyone eat in her car, but an exception was made for the pulled pork.
Tul

Big Ace 02-17-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJohn (Post 2795827)
So I went in two days ago, because I couldn't wait.

The Rib Tips were off the chain! Bit through and ate the cartilage. Not many places can say that.

He was out of mac and cheese that day....

But I took some friends with me today.

He opens at 10am, but he is out of brisket. Ran out last night. Steeeerike one...
He is out of Mac and Cheese and Potato salad.......Steeeeerike two....
We sampled (paid for) polska kielbasa, hot links and pulled pork....Foul tip

Verdict:

Not impressed. We might call ahead to see if he has brisket before driving down. BUt then again, we may just keep on driving down to Smoqued, where if they run out of brisket at night, they pull another one out of the cooler and start it up.

....

Had the day off today and was in the neighborhood to get some wood at the wood shed and decided to check out Freds with my 6 YO son. Turned out this place is in the old Scotties location. Freds uses what appeared to be a gravity fed smoker(looked like a Viking, which I think is a rebranded Stumps)

Anyways, I ordered the Lexington PP sammich for myself and was going to order 1lb brisket for my son to nibble on and then bring the rest back to my wife. But same situation as you, out of brisket, this time at 12:30, but he did say he would have some ready in "2 hours". So ordered a 1/2 rack of spares instead.

Spares were great, PP sammich was good, my only critique would be sammy needed more coleslaw and the PP was a little mushy. Didn't request any sides, but overheard him rattling off a list of sides seemed they only had 4 sides available at that time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.