The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Contest Announcment The Go Naked BBQ Show - THE IRONMAN (4/5-4/6/14 Greencastle, PA) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179895)

MASON-DIXON BBQ 01-21-2014 03:09 PM

The Go Naked BBQ Show - THE IRONMAN (4/5-4/6/14 Greencastle, PA)
 
1 Attachment(s)
The Go Naked BBQ Show - THE IRONMAN, Greencastle, PA 17225, April 4-5, 2014

Alright all you BBQ'ers! Here it is, the OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT of The Go Naked BBQ Show - the Ironman! We haven't even officially announced and we are up to 12 teams already registered! This year's event will be April 4th&5th, 2014, hosted by Mason-Dixon BBQ Services in Greencastle, PA. (www.mdbbqservices.com)

As with tradition, Go Naked means NO ELECTRIC! No Gurus, Mavericks, Pellet Smokers, Rotisseries, etc.! Just you, your pit, meat, spices, sauce, and your knowledge!

New this year is THE IRONMAN! That means you turn in what you cook - 1 Brisket, 1 Pork Butt, 1 Rack of Ribs, 7 pieces of chicken! A real challenge for the cooks!

This will be a MABA sanctioned event (www.mabbqa.com) and with all 4 meats, THIS WILL BE A QUALIFIER FOR THE JACK AND THE ROYAL!

For the official rules, registration information, and other helpful hints, visit the website at www.gnbbqshow.com.

See you soon! Keep watching for FAQ's and for a full list of rules.....

The Virginian 01-21-2014 05:23 PM

Excellent! Reminiscent of the DeerHunter competition we had up at BBQGURU some years back (though of course Fred allowed electricity at that one). Make sure Red Todd knows about this, he won the Deerhunter, I am sure he would do this one.

Brett

trohrs123 01-21-2014 10:00 PM

Turn ins still 6 pieces? Garnish? Electric allowed for lights radio etc?

Roast Beast 01-21-2014 11:02 PM

Very cool concept. I'd definitely participate if it were closer.

BBQBeaver 01-22-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohrs123 (Post 2774353)
Turn ins still 6 pieces? Garnish? Electric allowed for lights radio etc?

7 pieces of chicken, no garnish, no water, no electricity but sounds like you can bring a generator.

MASON-DIXON BBQ 01-22-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Virginian (Post 2773958)
Excellent! Reminiscent of the DeerHunter competition we had up at BBQGURU some years back (though of course Fred allowed electricity at that one). Make sure Red Todd knows about this, he won the Deerhunter, I am sure he would do this one.

Brett

Hey Brett.

Red actually competed in this event 2 years ago - we have been doing it for 4 years now, but this is the first year it will be all 4 meats and the first year it will be a qualifier. The last few years, it was a Ribs and Chicken one day event.

I don't think Red won....rib issues if I recall.....:wink:

MASON-DIXON BBQ 01-22-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohrs123 (Post 2774353)
Turn ins still 6 pieces? Garnish? Electric allowed for lights radio etc?

Yep turn-ins still 6 pcs - we do allow you to prep/cook 7 pcs of chicken - 1 to taste, the rest turn-in. The difficulty here is in the meat selection and not over/undercooking. Also the challenge of knowing how your pit works without gadgets and being able to time your cook without stay-in thermos.

No Garnish. 9x9 boxes with foil for bottom. Still have to present well.

Electric allowed at site for lights/heat/radio/etc; just nothing attached to cooker or used in prep or turn-in. No electric knives, no Mavericks, no Gurus/Stokers, no Pellet cookers, etc. If you're not sure you should be using it because it is electric or battery operated, you probably shouldn't. Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.

Can we police everyone - probably not - but all the folks who have done this in the past have participated for the challenge of doing it. It is a DQ if we catch someone though.

Goddahavit 01-22-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASON-DIXON BBQ (Post 2774875)
Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.
.


Glad you clarified this, not the impression i got from the flyer.

K-Train 01-22-2014 04:00 PM

Very tempted. We did last year and hat a good time

Kit R 01-22-2014 07:19 PM

So just to confirm the "no sauce" rule is no longer in place? If so, my chicken thanks you…...

trohrs123 01-22-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASON-DIXON BBQ (Post 2774875)
Yep turn-ins still 6 pcs - we do allow you to prep/cook 7 pcs of chicken - 1 to taste, the rest turn-in. The difficulty here is in the meat selection and not over/undercooking. Also the challenge of knowing how your pit works without gadgets and being able to time your cook without stay-in thermos.

No Garnish. 9x9 boxes with foil for bottom. Still have to present well.

Electric allowed at site for lights/heat/radio/etc; just nothing attached to cooker or used in prep or turn-in. No electric knives, no Mavericks, no Gurus/Stokers, no Pellet cookers, etc. If you're not sure you should be using it because it is electric or battery operated, you probably shouldn't. Only exception is a Thermopen or similar to temp food as that is a food safety issue.

Can we police everyone - probably not - but all the folks who have done this in the past have participated for the challenge of doing it. It is a DQ if we catch someone though.

Non electric Cambro ok?

Slamdunkpro 01-22-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit R (Post 2775485)
So just to confirm the "no sauce" rule is no longer in place? If so, my chicken thanks you…...

and the Judges thank you:tongue:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 01-23-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohrs123 (Post 2775616)
Non electric Cambro ok?

also no electric refrigerators correct?

Big Ugly's BBQ 01-23-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ (Post 2776052)
also no electric refrigerators correct?

what would you need that for?? If I remember correctly last couple years, it was quite chilly that weekend......

Chipper 01-23-2014 12:03 PM

Big Chipper's will be there for our first comp of the year. Really looking forward to the format!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.