The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   to cold to work, think I'll try bludawg's brisket recipe (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178881)

smoke ninja 01-07-2014 08:09 AM

to cold to work, think I'll try bludawg's brisket recipe
 
Temps are negative 11. I don't want to think about what the wind chill is. Gonna try bludawg brisket recipe. Picking up a 6 pound angus packer now (my Butcher always keeps a few on hand, I like to think they're just for me.). Gonna rub with a tri level rub, salt and black pepper will be the stars. Cooking at 300 in the wsm (no water in pan today) for about 4 hours. I use small briskets so it maybe a little less. Then wrap in butchers paper, back on smoker for an hour. Check for tenderness, if not done put back on for an hour. Once tender rest still wrapped until IT is 150. Eat and enjoy.



Sound about right?

Jaskew82 01-07-2014 08:13 AM

Internal temp of 150 is not going to result with a tender brisket. I strongly recommend bringing it up to at least 190 or 195. In reality, you need to ignore temps and go by feel. When you insert a probe into the thickest part of the flat, it should go in like butter.

Also, 6lb packer seems tiny, not sure you can even get a packer at 6lbs.

QDoc 01-07-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaskew82 (Post 2756662)
Internal temp of 150 is not going to result with a tender brisket. I strongly recommend bringing it up to at least 190 or 195. In reality, you need to ignore temps and go by feel. When you insert a probe into the thickest part of the flat, it should go in like butter.

Also, 6lb packer seems tiny, not sure you can even get a packer at 6lbs.

150 is after the rest.

smoke ninja 01-07-2014 08:20 AM

The recipe calls for cooking til probe tender. Leave wrapped out of cooker until it is cooled. My Butcher always keeps 5_7 pound Packers on hand. I don't know if he trims them down or if they come from mini cows. I'll post a pick soon

sliding_billy 01-07-2014 08:21 AM

6 pound (or smaller) packer?

Diesel Dave 01-07-2014 08:51 AM

That is way small for a packer. But we'll wait on the pic to decide :heh:

everything else sounds like a good plan

Bludawg 01-07-2014 09:25 AM

You got this :pop2:

Fwismoker 01-07-2014 09:32 AM

popcorn standing by.

bander7003 01-07-2014 10:29 AM

I would love a 6-7# packer. The smallest I ever find is typically 11-12#s. Really, all I need is the point off of the packer. But I've never found just the point for sale.

Arristillius 01-07-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bander7003 (Post 2756790)
I would love a 6-7# packer. The smallest I ever find is typically 11-12#s. Really, all I need is the point off of the packer. But I've never found just the point for sale.

I have wondered about that as well, does anyone know what happens to the points? Costco in my area sells 6-8 lb Flats but none of them have points, what do they do with all the points?

GoolsbyMD 01-07-2014 10:56 AM

Guess I live in the twilight zone, Harris Teeter here sells nothing but the point for about $2-2.50/lbs no whole packers and the flats are like $3.50/lbs. I have about 5 points in the freezer i always forget about since i normally do packers from the butchers.

sliding_billy 01-07-2014 10:59 AM

They don't always have them, but some of the Kroger locations near me sell points.

pigsmoke 01-07-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD (Post 2756852)
Guess I live in the twilight zone, Harris Teeter here sells nothing but the point for about $2-2.50/lbs no whole packers and the flats are like $3.50/lbs. I have about 5 points in the freezer i always forget about since i normally do packers from the butchers.

Must be a VA thing, I mostly see points in regular grocery stores around here, then flats in Costco.

smoke ninja 01-07-2014 11:05 AM

6 pound packers
 
3 Attachment(s)
Asked the Butcher about the small size of the briskets. He said "that's a brisket". I said "thought they were bigger". He replied "they are trimmed". I decided not to push him and just enjoy briskets that fit easily in my 18 wsm.

Here it is, just over 5 pound. They are pre trimmed. Normal price is 3.99 lbs but the counter girl wrote it up wrong

smoke ninja 01-07-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2756727)
You got this :pop2:

I feel the pressure now, cooking your process, while your watching. Hope I do it justice.

Is there an indicator for wrap time or do you just wrap after four hours. As stated I cook mini briskets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.