The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First cook on stick-burner and thoughts from a novice (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177043)

smokejackson 12-10-2013 11:01 AM

First cook on stick-burner and thoughts from a novice
 
I was planning to update a previous thread but I had a lot more to talk/ask about so I decided it would be more relevant to begin another. In my previous thread, I stated that I would be cooking on a stick-burner for the first time, which I did this past Sunday. My other BBQ cooks have been done on a 22'' WSM and a medium BGE.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/1...0735d0a2_z.jpg

The meat of choice was an 11lb brisket from Cost Co. It was a USDA Prime whole packer. It was a hot and fast brisket based on Bludawg's recipe. Salt, pepper, 4 hours at 300...fat cap down...point towards firebox, wrap in butcher paper...fat cap up, 1-2 more hours until probes like butter. Rest for 2 hours in paper.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7417/1...b94074bc_z.jpg
Here is my pop's smoker. Pretty solid hunk of steel. It wasn't air tight but it did a fine job.

Here are pictures of the finish product.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/1...79f644f2_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5545/1...c12e9667_z.jpg

The first cut of the flat, below the point was money. Sooo good. The furthest end of the flat was pretty tough. If I could, I would have left it on for another hour (probably pulled after 5 hours) but I was being rushed and had to bring it to another location. As everyone had advised me...START EARLY!

The point, was even better. I don't have pictures of it because I saved it for dinner the next night but I just sliced it up and enjoyed the extra fatty goodness.

==================

Thoughts

(Bottom line, I was thrilled with the results. My first ever brisket was pretty bad. But I would like to share my thoughts to get better and help others)

I haven't been doing real BBQ for very long...smoking and fire building are concepts I don't have 100% grasp of. Especially the parts about building a clean fire, thin blue smoke, etc.

My process in starting this fire was laying some lump charcoal in the bottom of the fire box, 3 large pieces. Then I lit a full chimney of Kingsford and poured it on top of the lump. Finally I threw in 3 large pieces of pecan wood and let the smoker come up to temp. It took a while, but when it did, everything in the fire box had charred over and was black.

From then, temperature maintenance was a process of adding another piece of wood every 30 or so minutes. After a couple of hours, one piece wasn't enough so I'd add two or three to get a little over the target temperature of 300 and bring it back down around there.

The biggest thing is I don't know if what I'm doing is 100% correct. From my research you want the TBS which I got before putting on the meat. But once the temp starts to trend down, I add wood, and I'll get a burst of chalky smoke. That should be fine I assume?

Comparing this cook to the cooks on the WSM, I always feel like I have trouble achieving the TBS that people advocate. It seemed much easier on the offset. Maintaining the temperature on the WSM is no problem though. Cooking on the stick-burner is definitely not a "set it and forget it" affair. That being said, I do see the appeal of tending to a fire...I just can't put a finger on it.

Moving forward, I would like to try to cook more on my dad's smoker. I'm planning to do two briskets this NYE so hopefully that goes well. I can only imagine based on the set up, that the one closest to the firebox will cook much more quickly.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the pictures. And please add to the discussion, so we can all benefit :laugh:

SmittyJonz 12-10-2013 11:08 AM

Ya cook lt a lil longer 6hrs +\-. Some say to put splits on top of firebox to preheat them. You'll always get some white smoke when adding split.

Big George's BBQ 12-10-2013 11:10 AM

Nice first cook Try putting you wood on top of the smoker so they warm up That will help you keep that TBS

peeps 12-10-2013 11:12 AM

Looks and sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of it...it help to preheat the splits before adding them to the fire and to keep the firebox door open until it "bursts" into flames shortly after adding it to the coals. To preheat with that pit, keep a couple or a few resting on that flat spot on the FB lid, flipping them as needed since it is cold out.

ButtBurner 12-10-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps (Post 2724925)
Looks and sounds to me like you have a pretty good grasp of it...it help to preheat the splits before adding them to the fire and to keep the firebox door open until it "bursts" into flames shortly after adding it to the coals. To preheat with that pit, keep a couple or a few resting on that flat spot on the FB lid, flipping them as needed since it is cold out.

I have an old metal baking pan that I put over the wood heating on the fiorebox lid, it holds the heat in well in the winter time

peeps 12-10-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2724928)
I have an old metal baking pan that I put over the wood heating on the fiorebox lid, it holds the heat in well in the winter time

Well there ya go! Earl's configuration is a bit different than most traditional offsets, so I never had to hunt for a method to help retain the heat when preheating splits.

On Earl, I have a solid plate in my grill-top area under the firebox lid when I am just gonna be smoking and I put them under the lid on that plate. If I'm not using the plate and have the grill-top grate in place, I stick them off to one side of the grate under the lid.

sliding_billy 12-10-2013 11:22 AM

Nice first go.

J'ville Grill 12-10-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ (Post 2724920)
Nice first cook Try putting you wood on top of the smoker so they warm up That will help you keep that TBS

^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^ My thoughts exactly

ButtBurner 12-10-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps (Post 2724933)
Well there ya go! Earl's configuration is a bit different than most traditional offsets, so I never had to hunt for a method to help retain the heat when preheating splits.

On Earl, I have a solid plate in my grill-top area under the firebox lid when I am just gonna be smoking and I put them under the lid on that plate. If I'm not using the plate and have the grill-top grate in place, I stick them off to one side of the grate under the lid.

actually my firebox is big enough so I just put a split in it on the other side of the fire a few minutes before adding it and it heats up real good.

I started doing this when I forgot to put them on the firebox lid

daninnewjersey 12-10-2013 01:04 PM

Keep it up....looking good. sorry if I'm missing the explanation, but what is the green color on the meat from?

dummy que 12-10-2013 01:55 PM

stickey burners
 
fine looking briskey try wraping in butcher papper when cooking more than one it`s ok to move them from side to side to even out the cook

smokejackson 12-10-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daninnewjersey (Post 2725025)
Keep it up....looking good. sorry if I'm missing the explanation, but what is the green color on the meat from?

I had used some of this "pepper supreme" in my dad's spice cabinet. It may be some kind of green peppercorn. Or poor lighting? I ate it all the same!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.