The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lump or real wood... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176834)

Cowboy965 12-06-2013 08:45 PM

Lump or real wood...
 
Just brought home a Peoria Cooker with the internal firebox along with the Cyberq from BBQ Guru. Planning on doing a brisket and a ham tomorrow afternoon and have a question for all my brothers of the Q.

What is better or what should i do. Should I just get a hot bed of coals and fill up my internal firebox with cherry and hickory wood chunks, or should I just fill it up with lump charcoal, or, a mixture of both?

caseydog 12-06-2013 08:58 PM

Wow, I'm not sure where to start.

You definitely want your heat source to be hot coals. How you achieve that is flexible. You can start with seasoned wood, or start with charcoal. Either way, you need to establish a hot bed of coals, and add wood to it a little at a time, so you are not trying to get a lot of wood ignited and burning efficiently in a short amount of time.

If this is your first cook on this cooker, I'd say you might want to get your hot bed of coals going with some lump charcoal, and add small pieces of seasoned wood to that.

CD

Cowboy965 12-06-2013 09:08 PM

Its gravity fed so not all the wood will burn at one time. Still playing a little bit with it

Fwismoker 12-06-2013 09:09 PM

I hate to tell you this but you should learn your fire without a temp controller first. Learn fire and how to control it manually and the best ways to get good smoke. Using a controller is putting the cart in front of the horse. I have two controllers and don't use them unless i'm doing an all nighter (i need sleep) You'll turn out better Q and learn more this way....TRUST me.

Practice, start with a small hot fire which will give you the best smoke and experiment with how your temps go.

caseydog 12-06-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy965 (Post 2720999)
Its gravity fed so not all the wood will burn at one time. Still playing a little bit with it

Well then, I have no useful advice for you, since I don't know chit about gravity fed smokers.

Good luck to you.

CD

Cowboy965 12-06-2013 09:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was using a char griller with offset firebox for about a year now, using wood chunks and was keeping the temps up just fine doing that. I opted for the guru so I can do other things without tending to the smoker all the time. Nice to have good tasting Q and still be able to other things on my weekends.

bananablack 12-06-2013 11:28 PM

Id use a mixture. But like someone else mentioned learn your smoker before taking on an expensive cook.. Start with chicken and or pork butt(forgiving). After you are familiar with it sell it and get a stickburner(just kidding).

dwfisk 12-07-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2721001)
I hate to tell you this but you should learn your fire without a temp controller first. Learn fire and how to control it manually and the best ways to get good smoke. Using a controller is putting the cart in front of the horse. I have two controllers and don't use them unless i'm doing an all nighter (i need sleep) You'll turn out better Q and learn more this way....TRUST me.

Practice, start with a small hot fire which will give you the best smoke and experiment with how your temps go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananablack (Post 2721137)
Id use a mixture. But like someone else mentioned learn your smoker before taking on an expensive cook.. Start with chicken and or pork butt(forgiving). After you are familiar with it sell it and get a stickburner(just kidding).

I've never cooked on one but did review the excellent product video on their website, very neat cooker design. It does not look like you have an option recommended above of learning to cook without controllers to learn your pit first (normally excellent advice) because the design of the internal firebox unit is dependent on the controller technology.

To your question, I would try a mixture of lump and wood, up to 50/50. I would try to make sure my lump and wood chunks are about the same size.

This is a pretty unique cooker design for most of us. Please share a post of a cook or with pics so we can see how it works.

Best of luck!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.