The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilled Octopus (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175740)

Smokeat 11-21-2013 10:40 AM

Grilled Octopus

Whole 2-4 lb. octopus @ $1.99lb. Always wanted to cook one, but what could be more intimidating. I don't know how to choose, clean, skin, or portion a whole octopus. Does it need to be boiled/steamed before grilling? Can it be smoked? How is it seasoned or served? I assume it can be overcooked and rendered chewy/inedible with improper treatment, much like squid.

I know some guys and gals here are quite competent with seafood cookery, so please outline how to prepare delicious octopus for a first timer. Thanks so much, in advance.

57borntorun 11-21-2013 11:10 AM

A short marinade before the cook imparts flavor.Like squid it`s either a short cook or long or it`s tough.

Will work for bbq 11-21-2013 12:17 PM

I do like a nice octopus braised in wine but I've never grilled them before. Here is a grilled octopus cook by SmokinJo he may be able to answer your questions.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=527

Uncle JJ 11-21-2013 01:07 PM

I had some great octopus at a place out near Napa this summer. I asked how they got it so tender. You won't believe this. They put the octopus in a tumbler with golf balls and beat the hell out of it.

So, I'd say head over to the local driving range with your 8-legged friend and sneak him into the ball hopper for a few minutes. If you have a choice, I'd recommend Pro-VI's.

Big George's BBQ 11-21-2013 01:10 PM

I have wondeered about these I would like to hear about your results

PaulieG 11-21-2013 02:54 PM

Being of Sicilian descent (both parents from Sicily) we eat octopuses on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. First we boil them about 15 to 20 minuets; this lets you peel the thin skin membrane away and remove the leftover ink. We use a specific pot every time because of the ink stain that will be left behind.

We then grill them very quickly over coals; the initial boiling will make them tender so you donít have to grill them long. We then cut them up into about 1 inch pieces and mix them with EVOO, crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, fresh parsley and S&P to taste. Let this sit in the fridge for a couple of hours then bring up to room temp and eat.

We make six every time for 12 people and never have we had any left over. It is truly one of the best seafoodís out there.

deguerre 11-21-2013 02:57 PM

Damn Paulie! Delizioso!

PaulieG 11-21-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2702352)
Damn Paulie! Delizioso!

I will see if I have some Octopus prOn when I get home. The lemon like any other acid is what makes them tender after the 2 hour fridge set

57borntorun 11-21-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulieG (Post 2702350)
Being of Sicilian descent (both parents from Sicily) we eat octopuses on Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. First we boil them about 15 to 20 minuets; this lets you peel the thin skin membrane away and remove the leftover ink. We use a specific pot every time because of the ink stain that will be left behind.

We then grill them very quickly over coals; the initial boiling will make them tender so you donít have to grill them long. We then cut them up into about 1 inch pieces and mix them with EVOO, crushed garlic, fresh lemon juice, fresh parsley and S&P to taste. Let this sit in the fridge for a couple of hours then bring up to room temp and eat.

We make six every time for 12 people and never have we had any left over. It is truly one of the best seafoodís out there.

Two words with the ink.............BLACK PASTA!!!

PaulieG 11-21-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57borntorun (Post 2702400)
Two words with the ink.............BLACK PASTA!!!

"spaghetti al nero di seppia" yes sir!!

mbshop 11-21-2013 03:56 PM

saw a show once. they ate some very soft octopus. so they asked how they got it
so soft. so they went outside, stuck one in a rubber inner tube and the proceeded to pound the heck out of it against a big rock on the ground. makes sense to me !

RevZiLLa 11-21-2013 06:16 PM

On a trip to Greece, we awakened to a slapping sound. A fisherman was picking up an octopus and slamming it hard as he could into the concrete sidewalk along the boat slip over and over again to tenderize before selling to the restaurant in the hotel. We ate some of his catch later that afternoon. tender and awesome!

PaulieG 11-21-2013 06:25 PM

I used to be skinny when I just ate Italian food but then I moved to the Midwest and was introduced to BBQ.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...tana/image.jpg

deguerre 11-21-2013 06:27 PM

Please. You're Sicilian. You gotta have a big tool shed. Just sayin'...:becky:

buccaneer 11-21-2013 06:29 PM

If you have a trusted seller, I follow the Thai 3 minute rule.
Always tender, no, because some are tough but they usually are tender, it is unusual they are tough.
If they are, they get poached like Paulie says in herb water.

nobody say calamari