The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help on a mini wsm build! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175499)

grillinguy247 11-17-2013 11:07 PM

Need help on a mini wsm build!
 
What is the suggested hardware for a mini wsm using a Smokey Joe silver. Also is the silver preferred or is it the gold. I would need to know what tools are recommended for the build as well. Forgive me I'm new at the "build your own smoker thing". Any advice would be appreciated. :decision:

Fwismoker 11-17-2013 11:15 PM

Boy you opened a can of worms on this one since there are about a thousand different options. It comes down to air from the sides or air from the bottom. There is a mod with a can to prevent chocking with the air from the bottom if you go the silver..you can also mod the silver to perform like a gold by adding side air vents.

I went with the gold but you have to order it online i believe..at least i couldn't find it in the stores.

IMO the gold performs great with a charcoal basket because it gets air all around the charcoal and burns clean.

grillinguy247 11-17-2013 11:22 PM

Thanks. That's why I need help because I am open to using either silver or gold. I have heard silver is good if you want it for a grill to but I just need a dedicated smoker. I will be planning on making the charcoal basket. Just to give more info I'm open to any input.

Fwismoker 11-17-2013 11:46 PM

With the charcoal basket it will work like a grill regardless...i use mine to reverse sear all the time. There's more silver builds out there because its readily available but im glad i got the gold off Amazon. I still have my build pics somewhere...i'll find them and pm them this week to you.

grillinguy247 11-18-2013 12:03 AM

Thanks. And also I was wondering if the IMUSA tamale pot will work the same as the vasconia?

bbqgeekess 11-18-2013 12:18 AM

By the time you buy all the materials and hardware.. and a compatible tamale pot (the $40 one off of Amazon), it will cost you around $110 to make. Why not spend $199 and buy the Weber 14.5 bullet?

grillinguy247 11-18-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqgeekess (Post 2697332)
By the time you buy all the materials and hardware.. and a compatible tamale pot (the $40 one off of Amazon), it will cost you around $110 to make. Why not spend $199 and buy the Weber 14.5 bullet?

Family budget. :doh: and would like to do it myself.

grillinguy247 11-18-2013 12:26 AM

The IMUSA pot is about 20 bucks here at Walmart. (Socal) or target

bbqgeekess 11-18-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillinguy247 (Post 2697335)
The IMUSA pot is about 20 bucks here at Walmart. (Socal) or target

I got the IMUSA, it didn't fit.. I returned it and bought the Vasconia for $40 (shipped) off Amazon. (Vasconia fits beautifully.)

If you go with the silver, buy a can of chicken (larger than a tuna sized can), and make several holes in it at the bottom of the sides (inverted top of the sides). There needs to be enough holes to cover the area of the stock holes, so airflow isn't restricted.

Buy an additional grate and rotate it 90 degrees if you want to use lump charcoal with it (I do).

Buy a 12" terra cotta plant saucer as a diffuser and cover with foil.

Sit a smokey joe cooking grate along the inside ridge and sit the terra cotta diffuser on it.

Add two more cooking grates above with stainless steel hardware. Add a temp gauge between the two cooking grates.

That's what I did anyways and it works really well.

J-Rod 11-18-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqgeekess (Post 2697332)
By the time you buy all the materials and hardware.. and a compatible tamale pot (the $40 one off of Amazon), it will cost you around $110 to make. Why not spend $199 and buy the Weber 14.5 bullet?

Incorrect. I got about $60 in mine including buying the grill.

16Adams 11-18-2013 07:53 AM

Smokey Joe Silver 28
IMUSA pot. 23
Grate. 12
Thermometer. 10
Step bit. 17
Stainless hardware. 5

8.25 sales tax

My mini WSM was a fun project but also a pain. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tamale pot instead of cutting it out. A year later I still find shavings from somewhere.

Again it was fun to build, but if Weber Mini that is out now had been more than a rumor back then, I would have gone with the Weber Manufactured mini


Obviously you can do a Fred Sanford and beg borrow and plunder parts from CL, eBay and the neighbors trash but that's true of anything. I wanted all new

NickTheGreat 11-18-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2697463)
Smokey Joe Silver 28
IMUSA pot. 23
Grate. 12
Thermometer. 10
Step bit. 17
Stainless hardware. 5

8.25 sales tax

My mini WSM was a fun project but also a pain. I drilled holes in the bottom of the tamale pot instead of cutting it out. A year later I still find shavings from somewhere.

Again it was fun to build, but if Weber Mini that is out now had been more than a rumor back then, I would have gone with the Weber Manufactured mini


Obviously you can do a Fred Sanford and beg borrow and plunder parts from CL, eBay and the neighbors trash but that's true of anything. I wanted all new

You can't count the cost of the step bit in that. You can use that again. And besides, it's Man Law #9 that every DIY project requires a new tool purchase. And don't tell my wife any different! :mad2:

Fwismoker 11-18-2013 09:03 AM

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s617f1ccd.jpeg

two pieces of expanded steel tied onto the charcoal grate...about 3" high so it doesn't interfere with the pot
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s2d98a1ec.jpeg

No need for a teracotta pot i just use the steamer pan...works great. Sit a pot on the steamer if you want but it's not necessary at all. This is a 9 lb butt i did in hours.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s712ec137.jpeg

Put a handle on the vent if you'd like...nice and handy

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...s955aeaac.jpeg

The gold is nice also if you want to screw in a guru or iq

The top grate is 4 inches from the top and i have a 2nd one 3 inches above the steamer

grillinguy247 11-18-2013 09:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. The thing that almost makes it not worth it now is the fact that the vasconia pot is now 65 bucks. That makes it almost cost as much as the real thing I think it's a conspiracy.

peeps 11-18-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillinguy247 (Post 2697542)
Thanks for the replies. The thing that almost makes it not worth it now is the fact that the vasconia pot is now 65 bucks. That makes it almost cost as much as the real thing I think it's a conspiracy.

But the IMUSA is $21 all day, everyday and 15-30 minutes to crimp the lip...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.