The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Salts??? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175380)

SmokeUSum 11-16-2013 08:41 AM

Salts???
 
So I'm outta salt and I've got a beautiful butt that needs to be prepped in the fridge. I've been working on my own rubs and just wanted other opinions on the best salt for rubs. I've been using kosher for quite a while and been fairly pleased. I brought back a few salts from Maui this summer, by they are too salty?! I can't remember the last time I actually bought regular iodized table salt.

Stick with the kosher? Thoughts? What do you use? Do you use different ones for different meats?

Ron_L 11-16-2013 09:14 AM

I stick with kosher for rubs with one exception of some Sriracha salt that a friend sent me.

You can try the salts from Maui but if they were expensive they will probably get lost in the rub. It ay be better to use those for finishing salts.

If you need salt for the butt today you can give it a coat of Worcestershire or soy before rubbing.

Bludawg 11-16-2013 09:16 AM

On butts sometime all I use as a good hand full of table salt and in the smoke it goes. I do like to use Kosher salt in rubs.

nucornhusker 11-16-2013 09:32 AM

Yep, I would stick with Kosher as well.

noclss2000 11-16-2013 09:33 AM

kosher salt all the way.

aawa 11-16-2013 09:43 AM

I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

SmokeUSum 11-16-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2695362)
Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

Hahaha! Well, darn, there goes that idea!!!


Thanks gang, y'all confirmed I was doin' the right thing. I'll be pickin' up a box o' Kosher while I'm out and about today.

57borntorun 11-16-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2695362)
I use kosher salt for my rubs. I have Fleur de Sel that I use as finishing salt on steaks.

Whatever you do, don't use bath salts because you might turn into a zombie like the homeless guy in Miami!

Hey I resemble that remark.

Gettinit 11-16-2013 12:12 PM

A friend just gave me some smoked sea salt. Not sure what to do with it yet.

aawa 11-16-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gettinit (Post 2695511)
A friend just gave me some smoked sea salt. Not sure what to do with it yet.

Next time you do a nice thick cut steak or roast, after you slice it, lightly sprinkle some of the smoked salt over it and enjoy it.

BBQDaddio 11-16-2013 01:33 PM

Redmond kosher salt and trader joes fine sea salt which isn't very fine perfect for rubs.

I personally did not have good results with Morton's kosher salt.

joemat 11-16-2013 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Baleine Sea Salt :thumb:

landarc 11-16-2013 08:09 PM

I use Kosher salt, and in fact, just one brand, as that prevents surprises. My choice is Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt.

The Hawaiian salt can't be too salty, all sodium chloride salt is 97% identical, sodium chloride. But, the grind makes a big difference. Measure by weight is the best idea.

JMSetzler 11-16-2013 08:51 PM

Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.

Okie Sawbones 11-16-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMSetzler (Post 2696037)
Salt is salt unless you are using some sort of flavored salt. Kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt, as well as most other types of salt, are primarily sodium chloride (NaCl.) The reason you see different amounts used when using different types of salt is because of the coarse nature of some salts or the crystal density. If you measure salt by weight rather than by volume, you would use the same weight in any recipe.

That being said, there is no salt that is 'saltier' than another salt when you are using the same weight measurement. When you are mixing a salt with other ingredients for a rub, I would not hesitate to say that your palate won't be able to detect any difference from one type of salt to another.

Don't tell the salt fanatics, who pay big bucks for gourmet salts. I have a few friends who will argue to death with you over NaCl. I agree with you -- when mixed with other ingredients of a rub, any subtle differences are lost. I keep sea salt, kosher salt, and table salt (not iodized) around. I can taste subtle differences of various salts due to minerality (as evidenced by the different colors). I can't tell any difference when in a rub. Maybe a supertaster can, but not me. I'd like to see double blind studies from those who advocate otherwise. NaCl, it's what's for dinner. :wink:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.