The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilled Fruit (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17520)

cmcadams 05-02-2006 08:58 AM

Grilled Fruit

I grilled some sea bass and sides last night for dinner, and I still had a good amount of heat left in the coals, so I halved some bosc pear, sprinkled on a bit of cinnamon and cane sugar, and grilled them until they were just cooked, added some caramel sauce and a dab of ice cream... great stuff. I also love grilled fresh pineapple...

What are your favorite ways to grill fruit? I'm thinking of trying strawberries at the season approaches.

VitaminQ 05-02-2006 09:23 AM

I love to grill fruit. Apples and pears are always good. I like to let pears stew in some rum and butter before I introduce them to the fire. Pineapple, IMO, needs no such adulteration- just adding a little smokiness makes it out of this world. I like to do some apple rings to serve with pork chops.

BBQchef33 05-02-2006 11:49 AM

i dunk pinepple slices in Dark rum( or brandy) and then roll them in brown sugar/cinnamon and grillem till the sugar carmelizes. Wors well with peaches or pears also.

cmcadams 05-02-2006 12:00 PM

I like pineapple with nothing, too... but the dark rum with pears and apples sounds good.

Tonight, I'm doing grilled chicken, and I think I'm giong to halve some meyer lemons, grill them, and make a sauce with the juice. I'll probably grill a couple of slices for garnish, too.

I think banana would grill well, but I would want to use a grill mat or something similar...don't know if grill mats can take direct heat, though.

Samichlaus 05-02-2006 12:02 PM

Pork chops with grilled mango chutney are fantastic.

icemn62 05-02-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcadams
I think banana would grill well, but I would want to use a grill mat or something similar...don't know if grill mats can take direct heat, though.

Grill pan.

icemn62 05-02-2006 01:29 PM

I experiment with all types of firm fruit. Pineapple work well, so do peaches. Of course I believe everything taste better when cooked over fire.

VitaminQ 05-02-2006 01:29 PM

Grilled mango- brilliant, Sami!

Gotta try that!

Sledneck 05-02-2006 05:31 PM

Bananas slice in half lengthwise leave skin on brush maple syrup then sprinkle cinnamon grill then serve with vanilla ice cream

RichardF 05-02-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sledneck
Bananas slice in half lengthwise leave skin on...

Then you throw the banana out and smoke the skin - right???

Sledneck 05-02-2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardF
Then you throw the banana out and smoke the skin - right???

you got it!

cmcadams 05-02-2006 07:07 PM

I did oranges and meyer lemons... turned out pretty good... mostly, it allowed the juices to mellow a bit and made them easy to squeeze.

racer_81 05-03-2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemn62
I experiment with all types of firm fruit.

It's a good thing this isn't the Wood Pile.

Dunked, rolled and grilled pineapple sounds really good to me.

willkat98 05-03-2006 09:49 AM

Anyone try apples?

I grilled grapes, but the farkers exploded

cmcadams 05-03-2006 01:40 PM

apples grill really well.. I like to cut rings and put cinnamon and brown sugar on them. Mangos will be grilled this weekend, I think... Heck, I may just go to the store and get a variety of fruit and make a grilled fruit salad, add some dark rum, and sit back while I do a practice cook.