The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Cook: Ribs on the Mini WSM w/pron (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175092)

TrueBlueEagle 11-11-2013 11:00 AM

First Cook: Ribs on the Mini WSM w/pron

10 Attachment(s)
So I started building a mini WSM a week or 2 ago and had it finished (enough) to cook on last weeked. I did a small cook Friday night with ribs and sausage to test/season. Then cut up 2 racks of spares and trimmings for Saturday. I couldn't have asked for this thing to work any better! maintained temps perfectly. Reacted to vent adjustments quickly. and barely leaked any smoke other than through the top vent. I really dont think you can beat this little guy for the money. Highly recommend making one if you have a few extra parts laying around.

Anyway....I used my homemade rub which is a loosely adaptation of meatheads Memphis dust, with less of this and more of that, plus some pecan roasted coffee grounds, a little cinnamon, and some other random pantry items. Ends up being a sweet heat style rub. For sauce I mixed some local "apple" bbq sauce from the farmers market, a little honey, and the john boy and billy bob original sauce(good, but rather tangy...hence the honey). Some I kept dry rub...which is my personal preference. Now onto the real reason most of you are here...the por-...uh i mean pron!

P/S-Also...take it easy one me. I'm new to the 'Que and this is only my 3rd time cooking ribs ever, but first time cooking anything on the Mini WSM. As momma always said, "if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all!"

Fwismoker 11-11-2013 11:05 AM

I love ribs on the mini...Great first run!

peeps 11-11-2013 11:08 AM

Nicely done! I need to try ribs on my minim but it was done everything I have thrown at it superbly...

Hagisan 11-11-2013 11:08 AM

Looking good! Thanks for sharing the pics and making me hungry. :wacko:

grillinguy247 11-11-2013 11:36 AM

Great looking spares. :thumb:

sliding_billy 11-11-2013 12:20 PM

Good looking bones.

Big George's BBQ 11-11-2013 12:37 PM

I would say that you had a very successful cook

TrueBlueEagle 11-11-2013 12:44 PM

Thanks guys! I guess I just didnt expect a tamale pot and a small portable grill to turn out such great results!

1911Ron 11-11-2013 03:11 PM

Looks great! Amazing little cooker no?

TrueBlueEagle 11-11-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911Ron (Post 2689844)
Looks great! Amazing little cooker no?

Definitely! And you have a cute little portable grill to throw some weiners on when not in use as a smoker...

joshcary 11-11-2013 03:52 PM

Looks killer! I really want to build a mini, but can't bring myself to having yet another pit (AKA, the wife won't let me). :razz:

TrueBlueEagle 11-11-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshcary (Post 2689904)
Looks killer! I really want to build a mini, but can't bring myself to having yet another pit (AKA, the wife won't let me). :razz:

Understandable...but this takes up less space than the smallest WSM, and you can carry it tailgating/camping/anywhere! My main thing was being able to carry it to the football games so we could have fresh que. Plus it's cheap...less than $70 if you want. I spent a little more but kept it under $100. Plus I can say I made it. Figured it would be good practice before I start my UDS!