The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hot Tub Turkey? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174065)

mrboy 10-27-2013 08:44 PM

Hot Tub Turkey?
 
I've been having a lot of fun with Hot Tub Chicken. What do you think of Hot Tub Turkey for Thanksgiving?

Seems to me it ought to work on a bigger bird with a little extra time.

SmittyJonz 10-27-2013 09:32 PM

You Boil Chicken in a Hot Tub???? :loco:

mrbill 10-27-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2672965)
You Boil Chicken in a Hot Tub???? :loco:

I'm also wondering what hot tub chicken is.

SmittyJonz 10-27-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbill (Post 2673026)
I'm also wondering what hot tub chicken is.

Must be a Secret.......

bbqchicken 10-27-2013 11:16 PM

This what you mean?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JvSHxoCopf...en-hot-tub.jpg

I did find a recipe called Hot tub chicken.

http://d2k9njawademcf.cloudfront.net...jpg?1380070068

SmittyJonz 10-27-2013 11:25 PM

Sure it'll Work Great on Turkey! :mrgreen:

mrboy 10-28-2013 07:51 AM

If you're not familiar with chicken in the tub, here you go...

Hot Tub Chicken - Spatchcock a chicken, make a nice garlic/oil/spice wet rub and insert it under the skin of the chicken.

Make a nice oil/onion/garlic/mustard/lemon/spice bath

Gill the chicken skin side down just long enough to get color and bite-through skin.

Then put the bird into a large foil pan, skin side up and let it burble in shallow bath you made earlier.

Great flavor, moist and tender.

Jaskew82 10-28-2013 09:12 AM

So then you are just braising it... I see no reason why this wouldn't be good for anything. Make sure to reserve the juices at the end for stock/gravy.

sliding_billy 10-28-2013 09:16 AM

The name reminds me of "trash can turkey" (still my favorite way to cook a whole turkey).

mrboy 10-28-2013 05:04 PM

More of a braising process than basting.

But now I have to know how the heck you cook trash can turkey?

sliding_billy 10-28-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboy (Post 2673756)
More of a braising process than basting.

But now I have to know how the heck you cook trash can turkey?

Burn out a galvanized trash can (or find one that is not galvanized). Put a piece of re-bar in the ground. Line and wrap it with foil (enough to extend past the diameter of a trash can). Stand turkey up on re-bar (or a couple stacked). Cover with upside down trash can. Put as much charcoal as you can on top of the trash can (get in tight to seal the edges of the can good). Put the rest of a bag of charcoal around the edge of the trash can. Light both piles. Let cook for approx 4 hours depending on the size of the bird(s). Carefully remove charcoal (with shovel of course) and can. Eat! It works great for cooking onsite (construction, masonry, etc). Save the can in your truck for the next cook. :wink:

Teleking 10-28-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliding_billy (Post 2673797)
Burn out a galvanized trash can (or find one that is not galvanized). Put a piece of re-bar in the ground. Line and wrap it with foil (enough to extend past the diameter of a trash can). Stand turkey up on re-bar (or a couple stacked). Cover with upside down trash can. Put as much charcoal as you can on top of the trash can (get in tight to seal the edges of the can good). Put the rest of a bag of charcoal around the edge of the trash can. Light both piles. Let cook for approx 4 hours depending on the size of the bird(s). Carefully remove charcoal (with shovel of course) and can. Eat! It works great for cooking onsite (construction, masonry, etc). Save the can in your truck for the next cook. :wink:

You can also start a fire around the stand and burn down to coals. Rake coals back, place bird and can, bank coals on side of can and top. This will cook a little faster as the ground under the can is pre heated and the missed coals will give up some smoke in the can.

Garrett 10-28-2013 07:50 PM

Going camping in two weeks and plan on doing a trash can turkey.

Teleking 10-28-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2673923)
Going camping in two weeks and plan on doing a trash can turkey.

You can also use a burned out drum if worried about galvanized. Think homage Orion cooker.

Garrett 10-28-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teleking (Post 2673943)
You can also use a burned out drum if worried about galvanized. Think homage Orion cooker.

My dad is actually the one doing it, he has a can that he's been using for years. Thanks for the info.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.