The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   assassin smoker (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173917)

b smokin 10-25-2013 04:10 PM

assassin smoker
 
hi i am going to get into competition bbq next year and i was wondering if any of you are using assassin smoker. Are they any good is it big enough to do comp bbq on one thanks

GrillsGoneWild 10-25-2013 05:20 PM

Yes it would be perfect for comp cooking.

Ron_L 10-25-2013 05:23 PM

There is a site-specific Google search near the bottom of the page. Search for Assassin. there are some very good threads from guys who recently got theirs, including a lot of pictures and a couple of videos.

b smokin 10-25-2013 05:59 PM

:biggrin1: thanks i will check it out

bmikiten 10-27-2013 09:10 AM

I did a full cook (2 briskets, 4 racks and a pork loin) yesterday and was really pleased with my new Assassin. It took two cooks to get the temp regulation down but the first one was my fault for not having the sliding damper door on the fan open! Very well built unit with lots of capacity. There was plenty of room left.

Ron_L 10-27-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmikiten (Post 2672235)
I did a full cook (2 briskets, 4 racks and a pork loin) yesterday and was really pleased with my new Assassin. It took two cooks to get the temp regulation down but the first one was my fault for not having the sliding damper door on the fan open! Very well built unit with lots of capacity. There was plenty of room left.

What do you think of the food compared to your FEC?

bmikiten 10-27-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2672240)
What do you think of the food compared to your FEC?

There is clearly a difference. The Assassin provides more of a smoke flavor and you can certainly make a big difference in the smoke quality by switching out what you put in the hopper. The FEC is more precise for temp control (so far but I'm still playing with the Assassin) and I've always felt that pellets give less of a strong Texas-like smoke flavor. Both are amazing cookers and I consider both a tool for certain jobs. Right now, as I play with both, I'd be prone to doing bacon, chicken, turkey, sausages, etc. in the FEC 100 and briskets, pork and ribs in the Assassin. That may change after I take the December class on the FEC 100 in Ponca City. Both are new to me but I've cook for years on both types. Both companies give great support which was one of my major concerns when buying them.

Ron_L 10-28-2013 11:06 AM

Thanks! The class at Cookshack is a good one! You'll learn a lot.

Perfect Rack BBQ 10-28-2013 02:41 PM

Love the Assassin. We got one last winter and have been cooking every weekend since. It takes some practice to get down cooking times, temps and hot spots but it really does make a great product. The bbq guru that comes with it is sooooooo easy to use....you can fill her up with charcoal and go to bed and she will stay at the desired temp all night, no problem. The only thing I would advise is that if you will only be pushing it around on a hard surface you will be fine with the casters that come with it, but, chances are you will want to put on some pneumatic tires like we did to push it on the grass or soft surface.

dano 10-28-2013 03:20 PM

Great cooker...have had a 24 for about 1 1/2 now....no big issues at all...built like a tank and we have been scoring well using it.

Firefighter 10-28-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Rack BBQ (Post 2673604)
Love the Assassin. We got one last winter and have been cooking every weekend since. It takes some practice to get down cooking times, temps and hot spots but it really does make a great product. The bbq guru that comes with it is sooooooo easy to use....you can fill her up with charcoal and go to bed and she will stay at the desired temp all night, no problem. The only thing I would advise is that if you will only be pushing it around on a hard surface you will be fine with the casters that come with it, but, chances are you will want to put on some pneumatic tires like we did to push it on the grass or soft surface.

Can you give me a little insight on the hot spots. I ordered a 28 I and it will be shipping on Wednesday. Any help would be appreciated, could help shorten the learning curve.

bmikiten 10-28-2013 08:55 PM

There is only one hotspot based on a test I did - right above the intake near the bottom deflector. It isn't much to worry about. I was pretty impressed. Do the initial burn with a bag of Red and you'll get a good sense for how it all works. One mistake I made was to not open the tiny damper door on the guru fan which caused me untold annoyances. Check that as it is something that is easy to miss in the excitement of the new toy. Plug it in, open the damper, check the fan and open the ball valve. Should be great!

dobdabomb 10-28-2013 09:58 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167662

Click the link and you got a lot. Call up Jeff and Robin, family environment and best customer service you will ever have. Mine cooks like a champ at a wide range of cooking temps. For the added $500, get the 28!

bmikiten 10-28-2013 10:25 PM

Second on getting the 28. The price is well worth it.

rtboswell 10-29-2013 04:16 AM

You can't go wrong with either an Assassin or Superior Smoker. I just picked up the SS-1 (fabricated by the same people) and I am impressed with how well it has held its temp, how consistent the temp was from top to bottom, and how the airflow upward wasn't dampened at all by three large racks of ribs on the bottom shelf. Do know that the larger models are absolute BEASTS to move around. The A28 looks wider than the SS-1 which is taller if that is a consideration for you.

At least give Kevin as Superior Smokers a call before you pull the trigger either way.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.