The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   surface fungus on my wood! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173071)

CErnst 10-13-2013 01:39 PM

surface fungus on my wood!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Last weekend, I spent a large part of my day chopping firewood for the winter, silver maple. I saved random chunks that were fungus free. I then put these pieces in a bucket I had laying around. I washed it out before I put the wood in because it previously held dog food. I didn't dry it all the way out, but did shake it out. I then filled it and put a lid on it, left it in the garage.

this weekend I'm doing a beef roast and went to use some of my new woood. I found a soft white fungus covering/on about 2/3 of the wood in there. SHINOLA!

Attached is a photo of one piece that had this fungus on it. to save much of my wood...could I take a wire wheel on a grinder and take that fungus off safely?

...learned a good lesson.

SmittyJonz 10-13-2013 01:44 PM

I'd burn it off.......in a fire ........before any meat went on......:shock:

Yellowhair42 10-13-2013 01:44 PM

Burn as is.

93vpmod 10-13-2013 01:45 PM

CErnst I think you have a yeast infection on your wood!

Fwismoker 10-13-2013 01:50 PM

When wood reaches the temp to smolder burn and smoke then it's hot enough to kill any nasties....no worries.

SmittyJonz 10-13-2013 01:54 PM

If u are worried about it get charcoal going and burn the Yeasty off with handheld propane or butane torch all the while preheating your splits......:wink:

CErnst 10-13-2013 02:09 PM

okay, so as long as the growth is a fuzzy white, I'm hearing that is okay...and burning it off would be acceptable way to get rid of it. the bin did have a sweet kinda smell, perhaps yeast is it.

I remember reading that if there were mold, then it shouldn't be used to smoke with. A few pieces did have dark mold...those will go to the fireplace pile.

fantomlord 10-13-2013 02:58 PM

FYI...yeast=fungus

dwfisk 10-13-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2656772)
I'd burn it off.......in a fire ........before any meat went on......:shock:

Yep, not to worry. It's a shame with that pretty wood but not a problem. I preheat my splits on the firebox so that would take care of it if you have a way to preheat.

CErnst 10-13-2013 05:09 PM

I'll go to ace hardware after work and pickup a small bottle of propane for my solder torch...then spend a half hour or so scorching the wood to take care of the growth.

thanks guys!

luke duke 10-14-2013 09:55 AM

Just cook with it like you normally would.

columbia1 10-14-2013 10:23 AM

Living up here in the rainy pacific northwest it is rare that wood does not have some type of mold on it, just burn it like normal.

ajstrider 10-14-2013 11:17 AM

So you have a plan on how to fix it but I am curious as to why you sealed it off in a bucket. I always thought you want to keep wood out where air can get to it, am I wrong on this?

pbj 10-14-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstrider (Post 2657805)
So you have a plan on how to fix it but I am curious as to why you sealed it off in a bucket. I always thought you want to keep wood out where air can get to it, am I wrong on this?

This was my initial thought also. You need to keep air circulating or those nasties will grow. You can use it that way. The mold will just burn off.

CErnst 10-14-2013 10:41 PM

The whole effort was to primarily keep bugs away from the wood that like to eat it...then it made a convenient way to organize wood types. One of the first woods I got years ago was a large bag of mesquite that I put next to firewood I keep in the garage (to keep dry and burn better when needed). the mesquite then contracted some grub/bugs. I chopped up the mesquite and put it in a cleaned out cat litter bucket. that worked out, so I put my store bought wood chips in litter buckets. I then did the same for my cherry and mulberry. then I got the maple...didn't work out so well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.