The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Long term reliability of Cyber Q (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172393)

hoderbob 10-03-2013 10:40 AM

Long term reliability of Cyber Q
 
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Humphrey Down East Beast. As long as I am spending the money, I was looking to add the Cyber Q as having the rock solid temp control would save me sleep and not keep me chained to the homestead all day.

I have read many threads, mostly addressing the wifi challenges. I am an IT guy and get that part of it. What I really want to know is how it has held up for those of you who are long term users of the Cyber Q (6 mo or more).

  1. Are the temp probes still accurate? My Maverick is all over the board. I have had probes go bad, meats temps 10 degrees cooler than a meat thermometer registers etc. If I am going to spend nearly $300 for one, it needs to be rock solid.
  2. Any unit malfunctions? How well is it supported by the Mfr?
  3. Would you buy it again?
Thanks for your feedback.

BobM 10-03-2013 10:51 AM

I've had my CyberQ WiFi for almost a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoderbob (Post 2645681)
1. Are the temp probes still accurate? My Maverick is all over the board. I have had probes go bad, meats temps 10 degrees cooler than a meat thermometer registers etc. If I am going to spend nearly $300 for one, it needs to be rock solid.

AFAIK, yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoderbob (Post 2645681)
2. Any unit malfunctions? How well is it supported by the Mfr?

No problems. I haven't had any problems, so I haven't had to contact BBQ Guru.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoderbob (Post 2645681)
3. Would you buy it again?

Yes.

Ron_L 10-03-2013 10:57 AM

I've had mine for about a year, too and no issues at all.

Big George's BBQ 10-03-2013 10:59 AM

My experience with Guru is that they have excellent customer service. I have read that from others here too

slammmed 10-03-2013 11:09 AM

The Cyber Q should not be used as a set it and forget it device. you should still monitor the pit and never leave a pit unattended. Yes it does make it easier but please don't mistake it for not having to watch your pit.

RobKC 10-03-2013 11:13 AM

I've got a Stoker that went better than 3 years worth of contests before I had any issues with it.

Fwismoker 10-03-2013 11:20 AM

Nothing wrong with gurus ..I have one but the pitmasteriq is reliable, works awesome, fraction of the price and has a rain box that's easy to make.

spedly 10-03-2013 11:34 AM

I love my CyberQ but don't expect the probes to last forever. I've had to replace a couple of them but the unit itself works well and has exceeded my expectations.

hoderbob 10-03-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spedly (Post 2645736)
I love my CyberQ but don't expect the probes to last forever. I've had to replace a couple of them but the unit itself works well and has exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, I know they go bad, but they should last more that two uses (like the Mavericks did) :sad:

Thanks for the feedback!

hoderbob 10-03-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammmed (Post 2645714)
The Cyber Q should not be used as a set it and forget it device. you should still monitor the pit and never leave a pit unattended. Yes it does make it easier but please don't mistake it for not having to watch your pit.

I understand, I wasn't planning on heading out for the day. Mostly, getting a little more sleep on an overnight cook.

hoderbob 10-03-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2645725)
Nothing wrong with gurus ..I have one but the pitmasteriq is reliable, works awesome, fraction of the price and has a rain box that's easy to make.

Thanks. This is the first I heard of that one. I will check it out.

fnbish 10-03-2013 11:58 AM

I've had my cyber q 2 since January. It runs both my backwoods at competitions and home and haven't had an issue yet. Both pit and meat probes have worked great. I actually bought it off a forum listing so I wasn't even the first to own it.

Now I still bought a back up fan and probes in case something goes wrong at a comp, but at this rate I may never need them :-P. Probes of any brand seem to die eventually, but these have lasted by far the longest. I've had to replace my Maverick probes a few times and when I had the IQ110 I had to replace the probe (though I still liked that unit).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.