The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What to look for in a good pork butt? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172011)

BecknCO 09-27-2013 11:19 PM

What to look for in a good pork butt?

I just picked up a pork butt on sale for $1.79/lb (sale price for Suckway grocery). I chose an 8.11lb partially because I don't know about a 12+hr cook (this will be the biggest I've ever done), but also because it was labeled bone in whole, wasn't touched with any "enhanced solutions", and because I could also clearly identify the money muscle (learned from you guys).

Some were more red then others, and this one seemed a little more pinkish but had the latest sell by date. How should I be choosing ma butts? :biggrin1:

mrbill 09-27-2013 11:21 PM

heavily marbled w/a good fat cap imo.

BecknCO 09-27-2013 11:40 PM

I like to trim the fat cap to about 1/8", but then again wth do I know. Why is it important to have a good fat cap if you are going to trim, and does color or the meat make any difference?

mrbill 09-27-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecknCO (Post 2639928)
Why is it important to have a good fat cap if you are going to trim, and does color or the meat make any difference?

I don't trim. I like a good fat cap for the flavor/moisture in the finished product. color is hard to judge. some places package meat w/other gasses to preserve color. as long as it isn't grey, you should be good to go.

J'ville Grill 09-28-2013 12:05 AM

Sounds like you got the butt that I'd be looking for:thumb:

GMDGeek 09-28-2013 01:49 AM

I used to focus to much on trimming and getting the fat cap just right... found that after cooking about 50 shoulders I more look for bone-in, good color, decent marbling, and meats that have a ton of hard fat ...

BecknCO 09-28-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMDGeek (Post 2639964)
I used to focus to much on trimming and getting the fat cap just right... found that after cooking about 50 shoulders I more look for bone-in, good color, decent marbling, and meats that have a ton of hard fat ...

Tell me more about the color and hard fat please?

Diesel Dave 09-28-2013 05:55 AM

Sounds like you got a good one. I prefer the ones that are a nice pink color. A good fat cap or still with the skin on. I'll put skin/fat cap side down to protect from the heat. It seems you do low and slow too, this has always produced me a fine butt. I wrap at about 4 hrs in and at that time put the fat on the top to let the moisture drizzle through the meat.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 09-28-2013 06:02 AM

The whiter the fat, the fresher the pork. You want pork that is as fresh as possible, unlike beef where proper aging can help tenderize.

Bludawg 09-28-2013 09:58 AM

Bone in No enhancement min 8.5 lb.

El Ropo 09-28-2013 10:55 AM

Same as Blu, I also make sure the Money Muscle is all there.

I've even found a few half butts that had full MM and snatched those up when they were on sale.

BecknCO 09-28-2013 12:06 PM

Thanks Fellas - so to recap, it should be at least 8.5lb, more pink than red, no enhancement, whiter fat and good fat cap, and visible money muscle. Final question - is there a way to tell if the money muscle is whole or partial?

landarc 09-28-2013 12:18 PM

I prefer a bone-in butt, a minimum of 8 pounds, a fat cap that is clean and white. No enhanced solutions. I actually like the deep pink pork, as I feel the taste tends to be richer, but, I don't worry if all there is are the light pink ones.

Goldenfinger 09-28-2013 12:46 PM

Here's an 8.5# Bone-in that I UDS'd on Thursday... took about 10.5 hrs.

http://i.imgur.com/E4Uuf43l.jpg

Get these direct from the packer.