The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First attempt at a Sliced Butt (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170663)

BBQDaddio 09-09-2013 06:26 PM

First attempt at a Sliced Butt

3 Attachment(s)
Been wanting to try a Sliced Pork Butt rather than pulled and decided to do a Cuban Mojo Pork Roast. Wife purchased a 14 pound boneless pork shoulder instead of bone-in and when it was time for trimming I was surprised that it was pretty hacked up. Than looked at the label and it was a boneless. So onward with the marinade: STudded the roast every 2-3 inches with Garlic than placed the shoulder in a zip lock bag with Goya Mojo Crillo.

Sunday Morning put the roast in at 8:00 with Grill temp reading at 250. Smoked over KBB mixed with Trader joe briquettes and some hickory and apple. Bumped up the temp around 9:30 to 300. 175 internal temp hit at 1:00 rested for 2 hours than sliced.

Made a sauce with the left over marinade. Sauted up a whole onion with 10 minced Garlic and 4 thai chili's to a nice golden color than added the marinade to simmer for 10 mins. Of course also added a little salt and pepper to taste.

grubby 09-09-2013 06:39 PM

Looks good. Good Job.

IamMadMan 09-09-2013 06:45 PM

Great Looking MoJo Pork....

Garrett 09-09-2013 07:15 PM

I'm gonna have to try a mojo pork butt soon.

rauljustice 09-09-2013 07:21 PM

can you taste the mojo after a long smoke?

PaPaQ 09-09-2013 07:22 PM

That right there looks real good!

ATLSean 09-09-2013 07:24 PM

Looks tasty

Bob in St. Louis 09-09-2013 07:34 PM

Oohhhhhh ..... and just about the time I was thinking I'd done "everything" you could do to a butt......

Yea, that looks nice.
Anymore pics?

pueblo 09-09-2013 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=BBQDaddio;2618657]Been wanting to try a Sliced Pork Butt rather than pulled and decided to do a Cuban Mojo Pork Roast. Wife purchased a 14 pound boneless pork shoulder instead of bone-in and when it was time for trimming I was surprised that it was pretty hacked up. Than looked at the label and it was a boneless. So onward with the marinade: STudded the roast every 2-3 inches with Garlic than placed the shoulder in a zip lock bag with Goya Mojo Criollo.

Sunday Morning put the roast in at 8:00 with Grill temp reading at 250. Smoked over KBB mixed with Trader joe briquettes and some hickory and apple. Bumped up the temp around 9:30 to 300. 175 internal temp hit at 1:00 rested for 2 hours than sliced.

Made a sauce with the left over marinade. Sauted up a whole onion with 10 minced Garlic and 4 thai chili's to a nice golden color than added the marinade to simmer for 10 mins. Of course also added a little salt and pepper to taste.[/QUOT

Fixed it for ya. Looks great!! SGV boy here.

SmittyJonz 09-09-2013 07:36 PM

Looks Good - How did you like it?

cowgirl 09-09-2013 08:46 PM

Looks great from here too. Nice!!

BBQDaddio 09-09-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rauljustice (Post 2618720)
can you taste the mojo after a long smoke?

The roast was marinated Saturday morning and its recommended that a 3 day marinade would be better. Was originally going to go with a homemade mojo but ran into some last minute errands with the misses.

You were able to taste more of the mojo after reintroducing some of the sauce to each slice. It is so much tastier the next day.

retired trucker 09-09-2013 10:03 PM

Now that looks really good! If it tastes as good as it looks, then you have a winner. You have me wanting to try that, as I don't care for pulled pork that much. Guess it is the Texan in me trying to compare it with some good brisket or something. I have cooked two or three butts and have always been disappointed in the outcome. I like a good pork roast, but have never tried to cook one on the smoker. Thanks for posting your pictures of your cook, and inspiring me to try one myself.

Blessings,

Omar

BBQDaddio 09-09-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 2618736)
Looks Good - How did you like it?

Was really good family and co-workers enjoyed it. Leftover sandwiches with a tomatillo salsa verde is mmmmmmm goooood.

Next time will try a authentic homemade mojo.

BBQDaddio 09-09-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis (Post 2618733)
Oohhhhhh ..... and just about the time I was thinking I'd done "everything" you could do to a butt......

Yea, that looks nice.
Anymore pics?

Sorry totally forgot to take pics during:thumb: and of the larger roast. Next I will make it up to you.