The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Defrosting a Brisket (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169435)

SPRfree 08-25-2013 04:54 PM

Defrosting a Brisket
 
Brethren

How long will it take to defrost an 11lb brisket going from the freezer to refrigerator?

Sprfree

Ron_L 08-25-2013 05:06 PM

If you put it in a cold water bath and change the water periodically it should take about an hour per pound. If you stick it in the fridge it should take about 24 hours for every 5 lbs, so about 2 days.

luke duke 08-26-2013 09:55 AM

If you want to speed the process up, put it on the counter until the frost melts, then put it in the fridge.

BBQDaddio 08-26-2013 11:46 AM

Just from personal experience with defrosting beef, slow defrosting will help with retaining moisture. I have defrosted a frozen 5 pound Tri-Tip in a few hours in running cold water and the meat seems to be not quite the same, there also seem to be a lot of liquid in the cryovac bag when defrosting fast. But it took 2 days to defrost another tri tip that was left in the fridge and it came out juicy and beautiful. Again this is just from my experience.

BBQDaddio 08-26-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke duke (Post 2602079)
If you want to speed the process up, put it on the counter until the frost melts, then put it in the fridge.


This really does speeds things up.

SPRfree 08-26-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQDaddio (Post 2602235)
Just from personal experience with defrosting beef, slow defrosting will help with retaining moisture. I have defrosted a frozen 5 pound Tri-Tip in a few hours in running cold water and the meat seems to be not quite the same, there also seem to be a lot of liquid in the cryovac bag when defrosting fast. But it took 2 days to defrost another tri tip that was left in the fridge and it came out juicy and beautiful. Again this is just from my experience.


2 days for a tri-tip...sounds like I'll need 4 days for an 11lb brisket???

NRA4Life 08-26-2013 05:39 PM

I defrost 15 to 17 lb briskets by putting them in the fridge 4 days before I want to trim. I'd say you ought to be good at 3 days, even if it thaws in 2.5 days it isn't going to hurt it to sit in the fridge for an extra day or 2.

BBQDaddio 08-26-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPRfree (Post 2602262)
2 days for a tri-tip...sounds like I'll need 4 days for an 11lb brisket???

Yeah maybe. I think a 12 pound brisket should take 2-3 days similar to the time frame of a 12 pound turkey during the holidays.

Our fridg stays cold as we are only home after 6 so the fridg never opens.

Vince


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.