The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lighting a fire in Medium Sized Stickburner with Pics! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168946)

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:03 PM

Lighting a fire in Medium Sized Stickburner with Pics!

2 Attachment(s)
Lately i have seen a lot of folks have trouble with getting their stickburners up to temp.. I am doing this thread as a way to give new people a outline as to how I light my stickburner.. and what i use for fuel. times and so forth. First off this is what i start with.. Cheapest Charcoal I could find.. because I'm primarily burning sticks for fuel anyways.. Charcoal is just a means to help get my fire going in the first place. I start with about a 3rd of a bag.. which takes of very little of my fire basket.. Keep in mind SMALL HOT FIRE is ideal for offset smoking.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next I add 2 splits to initially get my pit up to temp.. It takes about an hour to get my pit to 300 with exhaust wide open and intakes open.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These are the pictures after i put out the weedburner and intially letting the draft get going and getting the pit up to temp.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Notice the splits are on fire... this is what it takes to get my 10 feet of cooking chamber to temp.. Just charcoal will not get my pit over 150 degrees..

Uncle JJ 08-19-2013 12:14 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Helpful to me - I get my first stick burner in a few weeks. Guess I should buy a weedburner now.

Smokinwright 08-19-2013 12:14 PM

My biggest problems with my stick burners are, once I get them to temp, is to get them to stabilize. I've owned 3 different type of stick burners, and all do the same, either a little too warm, or a little too cool.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics of the Pit i am using.. Lang 60, Meadow Creek 250, Medium sized trailer offset type cooker.. this applys to all stickburners though.. Babies to monsters... they all need to burn wood for fuel.. to get that fire going.. Hope this helps all the Newbies that need guidance with how to get that fire going!

va_connoisseur 08-19-2013 12:16 PM

That a good short tutorial. I do something similar, except I use a charcoal chimney and Weber white starters. ( I need to get me a leaf burner. That's cool)

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle JJ (Post 2593890)
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Helpful to me - I get my first stick burner in a few weeks. Guess I should buy a weedburner now.

There are plenty of other ways to get that stickburner going.. without a weedburner.. a chimney full lit coals does the same thing.. pour coals in place splits on top.. wait until the catch fire before closing door.. or you could get a piece of newspaper.. pour some oil on it.. place in firebasket.. charcoals in top of it.. light that piece of newspaper.. which lights your coals.. then once your coals gets going good.. add your splits.. its more than a 100 ways of doing this.. utilizing what you already have on hand..

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinwright (Post 2593891)
My biggest problems with my stick burners are, once I get them to temp, is to get them to stabilize. I've owned 3 different type of stick burners, and all do the same, either a little too warm, or a little too cool.

Are you using the same size splits? Exhaust wide open? intakes open the whole time? keep in mind that with stickburners changes tend to take more time to see the full effect. Key is using similiar sized splits.. maybe adding a handful of charcoal with those splits.. to help stabilize the pit.. another trick to keep handy is to try and keep really thin splits for when your temp drops.. throw these on the fire and the help bring it back up in no time! Hope this helps!

Bludawg 08-19-2013 12:40 PM

First off thanks good job! It is true I light mine the exact same way and it takes 1 hr to get to temp Too. Like I keep saying it aint the size of your equipment it's knowing how to use it.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSCF0015.jpg

ShencoSmoke 08-19-2013 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A chimney full of hot coals under a few chunks of wood works perfect for me. No need to lug propane and a weed burner around.Attachment 83957

jestridge 08-19-2013 01:57 PM

If you have a weed burner ,why use charcoal

dwfisk 08-19-2013 02:15 PM

Thanks DHQ, good basic info. I do basically the same thing without the charcoal, I just use a few cross-hatched layers of kindling, usually 1/2X1/2 up to 1X1 foot long sticks from the woodworking side of my shop with a couple full sized oak splits on top and fire it off with the Texas match. Like yours, it will take my pit 45 minutes to an hour to get up to temp. Once there, I'll add a couple of hickory splits onto the coal bed give them 5-10 minutes to get going good and the white smoke to clear, then start cooking. Depending on how hot I'm cooking, how full the pit is, weather and a bunch of other variables, I'll typically use 1-2 splits every 1-2 hours for the duration of the cook. I usually preheat my splits on top of the firebox to make sure they ignite fast.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 2594026)
If you have a weed burner ,why use charcoal

Charcoal in my case is just a means to get the wood burning.. I use a lot less propane by lighting the charcoals.. then placing the wood on top of them.. than i would if i were just trying to get the wood going... Charcoal takes about a minute of Weedburning to get lit.. straight logs the size i use would take almost 3 or 4 to get burning good..