The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Where Do You Put Your Wireless Transmitter? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168931)

bvbull200 08-19-2013 09:59 AM

Where Do You Put Your Wireless Transmitter?
 
I'm working on restoring/modifying a Bandera (thread here), but I didn't want this question to come across as too specific to the smoker. Hopefully I can find a great idea or someone will have some input that sparks one of my own.

I'm trying to come up with a place to mount the transmitter on my Maverick ET732. I had figured I'd put a couple of holes in the side of my cooking chamber with some grommets to run the probes through, but then where to put the transmitter? I thought welding a short piece of steel tubing off the side of the cooking chamber, then just hanging it would work, but I'm afraid the heat will be too much. I'd also want it to be protected from inclement weather, so I thought a shroud over it would be prudent as well.

Of course, I'm probably over-thinking it, which is why I've turned here. I have plenty of scrap metal (plates, expanded, tubing, etc.) and a welder, so I can so a quick fabrication of something if the effort doesn't outweigh the gain.

Bludawg 08-19-2013 10:40 AM

You don't really want to know my answer do you? :razz::heh: weld a stand off to the side of the pit with a mounting tab. Screw a clear plastic rubber maid box to it (it will keep it dry in case of rain) drill a hole in the bottom to run the leads out of the box drill a hole in the side of the pit and weld a pipe nipple in it to route the leads into the pit you can cap it when not in use.

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 11:37 AM

At the store, right beside the thermapens (fast) (faster) and (fastest) and all that jazz.... because i never bought one! :shock: Cook by feel..

bvbull200 08-19-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2593768)
You don't really want to know my answer do you? :razz::heh: weld a stand off to the side of the pit with a mounting tab. Screw a clear plastic rubber maid box to it (it will keep it dry in case of rain) drill a hole in the bottom to run the leads out of the box drill a hole in the side of the pit and weld a pipe nipple in it to route the leads into the pit you can cap it when not in use.

Oh, but I DO want to know your answer. My home is full of elaborate solutions to very simple problems. I hadn't thought of a little piece of tupperware or the like. I'll look in to this idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2593847)
At the store, right beside the thermapens (fast) (faster) and (fastest) and all that jazz.... because i never bought one! :shock: Cook by feel..

I can't help but notice you chose to mount (at least) 4 analog thermometers on your smoker build. Why not just "feel" it out?

NeilH 08-19-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2593847)
At the store, right beside the thermapens (fast) (faster) and (fastest) and all that jazz.... because i never bought one! :shock: Cook by feel..

I hear ya. lol

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvbull200 (Post 2593875)
Oh, but I DO want to know your answer. My home is full of elaborate solutions to very simple problems. I hadn't thought of a little piece of tupperware or the like. I'll look in to this idea.



I can't help but notice you chose to mount (at least) 4 analog thermometers on your smoker build. Why not just "feel" it out?

LOL i feel that i can walk around and look..

DownHomeQue 08-19-2013 12:24 PM

Knowing the pit temp is important.. meat temp is what i was talking about..

NoSwineLeftBehind 08-19-2013 12:45 PM

Harbor Freight sells these magnetic trays. Pretty handy for holding thermometers, transmitters, car keys, beverage of choice, etc.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S...2/DSC02329.JPG

bvbull200 08-19-2013 12:49 PM

Everything that I grill, I do by feel. I've done that for enough years that I know what a good steak "feels" like.

I'm too new at this. I can poke and prod big slabs of meat cook after cook and try to remember which "feel" came out a certain way, wasting time and money on bad cooks or I can take objective readings and assign my own subjective definitions to them as a way to learn while still enjoying good food.

That said, man is an intelligent beast and so long as the technology is accessible to make the task easier and more reliable, I'll probably take advantage of it.

Ole Man Dan 08-19-2013 12:49 PM

Never used one.

bvbull200 08-19-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSwineLeftBehind (Post 2593936)
Harbor Freight sells these magnetic trays. Pretty handy for holding thermometers, transmitters, car keys, beverage of choice, etc.

I like that tray! It wouldn't be hard to add a little overhead protection for the elements, either.

Thanks for the tip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.