The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best type of sausage for smoking? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168695)

Darkman 08-16-2013 10:21 AM

Best type of sausage for smoking?

Just wondering what your experience is with various types of sausages is.

Do some just work better than others?

I prefer ones with a bit more of a textured bite. Ones where each bite may have a slightly different taste due to certain spices being more prevalent i.e. cracked pepper, whole fennel, etc...

What are your thoughts please.

One final question I'll be cooking for about thirty people this fall and would YOU fix several different types or just one? The sausage is just part of the meat services. There also will be Butt, Ribs and Chicken thighs.

Thanks,

cpw 08-16-2013 10:55 AM

I might do a chicken sausage and a pork sausage, but that would be it.

DeepElemCue 08-16-2013 11:11 AM

I have had great success with Polish sausage

cholloway 08-16-2013 11:14 AM

I like a good fresh bratwurst or boudin (if its the right recipe).

Mrdeville 08-16-2013 11:17 AM

I love Johnsonville sweet, mild, or hot Italian sausage

Darkman 08-16-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2590734)
I might do a chicken sausage and a pork sausage, but that would be it.

OK I'm going waaay out on the ignorant limb here. :oops:

Pork sauasge = breakfast sausage.

Chicken sausage = healthy low calorie breakfast sausage.

See I'm out on the little bitty limbs.

My perception is probably wrong and I'm sure someone will enlightened me. At least I hope so!

Is the Polish fine grained?

Boudin :clap: Good stuff. Finding a great one is hard to do here.

Johnsonville is a good sausage.

The Butt will be pulled. The Chicken thighs finished with BBQ sauce. The ribs dry and sauced. What I'm looking for is a forth dimension in taste and texture.

Why? I don't know! :wacko: :loco: :-o I have no logic!

BUT

I appreciate y'alls help!

thunter 08-16-2013 11:35 AM

Fresh Johnsonvilles for me. :-D

Bludawg 08-16-2013 11:43 AM

Slovaceks or City Market Jalapeno & Cheddar, Dallas City Packing Hot Links, Opas Beef & Pork

Thermal Mass 08-16-2013 11:49 AM

Johnsonville?:tsk::tsk: At leas step up to Klement's or even better if you can find Usinger's:thumb: You will thank me.:becky:

Kielbasa take smoke very well and have a fine grind and firm texture. You may also consider a chorizo or andouille for something with some spice. Italian sausage will also take smoke well but you have to find GOOD Italians or it is horrible smoked :puke:

Darkman 08-16-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2590782)
Slovaceks or City Market Jalapeno & Cheddar, Dallas City Packing Hot Links, Opas Beef & Pork

Man those all sound great but they are not available here. Now I can go buy Shrimp that are still alive and kicking but not great fresh sausage.

As a rule though which sausages are or have a coarser texture.

I know the boudin does but what else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermal Mass (Post 2590790)
Johnsonville?:tsk::tsk: At leas step up to Klement's or even better if you can find Usinger's:thumb: You will thank me.:becky:

Kielbasa take smoke very well and have a fine grind and firm texture. You may also consider a chorizo or andouille for something with some spice. Italian sausage will also take smoke well but you have to find GOOD Italians or it is horrible smoked :puke:

Our Choriso is almost a fine paste. No texture at all.

Thanks for the recommendations.

RT 08-16-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkman (Post 2590775)
OK I'm going Way out on the ignorant limb here. :oops:

Pork sausage = breakfast sausage.

This can be a breakfast or link.

Chicken sausage = healthy low calorie breakfast sausage.

Haven't had any of this one.

See I'm out on the little bitty limbs.

My perception is probably wrong and I'm sure someone will enlightened me. At least I hope so!

Is the Polish fine grained?

No clue..... :doh:

Boudin :clap: Good stuff. Finding a great one is hard to do here.

+1 on this one.

Johnsonville is a good sausage.

The Butt will be pulled. The Chicken thighs finished with BBQ sauce. The ribs dry and sauced. What I'm looking for is a forth dimension in taste and texture.

Why? I don't know! :wacko: :loco: :-o I have no logic!

BUT

I appreciate y'alls help!

I like to smoke at least three different sausages when loading up the smoker. When it is gumbo are jambalaya time I like to have a lot of varying flavors through the pot.

What seems to always be a hit or conversation point is a good alligator sausage, not sure if you can find any around you are not.

Sounds like there is going to be some good food and you are defiantly not waiting until the last minute.

Good luck.......

Fat Cap 08-16-2013 12:09 PM

I love to keilbasa!

Dim 08-16-2013 01:31 PM

try find a south african shop or south african butcher nearby and try some tradional boerewors

Teamfour 08-16-2013 04:12 PM

Home made sausage is the best. I prefer to make my own andouille for smoking.

TuscaloosaQ 08-16-2013 04:28 PM

Coneuch made in Alabama it is off the chain

Teamfour is right it is hard to beat you own homemade