The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cherry Wood - Seasoning (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167393)

scotts1919 08-01-2013 07:18 AM

Cherry Wood - Seasoning
 
Good morning. My dad calls me up last week and says "hey we need to tear down the cherry tree in the backyard and do you want us to keep you any wood", i said hell yes!

So my question is, whats the process of seasoning cherry wood? Keep in mind i am in the Midwest and dont have a ton of space. could i cut it up into small chunks for smoking and season the small chunks?

How long do i season for?

Please help me out. :-o

thanks

pbj 08-01-2013 07:22 AM

It will dry out faster if it is in smaller pieces. Some use it before it is dry and have good results.

bbq.tom 08-01-2013 08:01 AM

if you are using a stick burner I would think that you would want to keep larger pieces; however, if using charcoal - then smaller pieces are ideal to throw onto the coals. I'd try to let it age at least 5-6 months if cut into smaller pieces. 10-12 months for logs.

HankB 08-01-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2573051)
if you are using a stick burner I would think that you would want to keep larger pieces; ...

I'm new to the stick burner thing having just done one cook on my NBBD. Wouldn't I use cherry like I use it on my charcoal smoker (WSM?) I mix some chunks in the charcoal. Wouldn't I want to mix a few chunks in with whatever sticks (oak and maple) that I'm using for fuel?

This is probably academic for the OP since he mentions lacking space for storing wood, he's probably not using a stick burner.

And I'll offer to help him with any surplus cherry. :mrgreen: I can offer some mulberry and black walnut in exchange if he wants some.

scotts1919 08-01-2013 08:28 AM

I use a WSM so smaller piece chunks are ideal.

I think what i will do is splt them up small and store them. should i store them outdoors under tarp or in the garage or shed in a rubbermaid bin to season them?

bbq.tom 08-01-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2573078)
I'm new to the stick burner thing having just done one cook on my NBBD. Wouldn't I use cherry like I use it on my charcoal smoker (WSM?) I mix some chunks in the charcoal. Wouldn't I want to mix a few chunks in with whatever sticks (oak and maple) that I'm using for fuel?

Depends on how frequently you want to feed the fire. I prefer to only open the firebox about every 2-3 hours so I want large pieces that not only provide flavored smoke but primary heat as well. If you want to feed the fire every 30-45 minutes then I'd suggest smaller chunks just for the flavored smoke factor (not primary heat source).

HankB 08-01-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts1919 (Post 2573087)
I use a WSM so smaller piece chunks are ideal.

I think what i will do is splt them up small and store them. should i store them outdoors under tarp or in the garage or shed in a rubbermaid bin to season them?

You need to keep them dry so they don't grow mushrooms and otherwise deteriorate. I also dust my wood storage with diatomaceous earth to keep bugs out of it. I had some mulberry that was riddled with worm holes when I went to use it. :mmph: I also have problems with mice nesting in my wood storage. :tsk:

scotts1919 08-01-2013 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2573135)
You need to keep them dry so they don't grow mushrooms and otherwise deteriorate. I also dust my wood storage with diatomaceous earth to keep bugs out of it. I had some mulberry that was riddled with worm holes when I went to use it. :mmph: I also have problems with mice nesting in my wood storage. :tsk:

So would you suggest keeping it in rubbermaid containers in shed covered with diatomoaceous earth sprinkled on it? something like below?

Attachment 83049

mr_ski73 08-01-2013 09:47 AM

I recently got to stock pile some cherry for the first time. Mine is in wood rack outside but only been drying for a couple weeks. I have already started using it(just couldnt wait).. it was great green, but pretty strong, dosent take much mixed in with oak.

Oldhoss 08-01-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2573051)
I'd try to let it age at least 5-6 months if cut into smaller pieces. 10-12 months for logs.

This is my experience.

Got some 3 month old large logs in January of this year. It was way too moist still. Cut it into small splits and put it in the furnace room up high. It was burning clean a couple months ago.

scotts1919 08-01-2013 11:21 AM

If i do put in in a Rubbermaid bin and put it in the shed, do i cover it to hold moisture in or leave it uncovered? or do i add some sort of drying agent to bin and cover it?

thanks

pbj 08-01-2013 11:24 AM

you need good air flow around the wood for it to season properly. I would not store it in rubbermaid bins for chance of mold forming.

Yendor 08-01-2013 11:35 AM

And yes, use some right away. You will never be able to add that natural moisture back to that wood again.

rondini 08-02-2013 01:28 AM

I put my cherry up on 2x4's which are on top of brick. Each of my areas for smoking is 4'x4', with t-post for ends. The wood is normally 2-3" in diameter, is outside and uncovered. Like a mini fire wood rack. Also since I get cherry in my fire wood, I have much cherry chunked up and dry.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.