The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A competition question. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166740)

Bentley 07-24-2013 06:55 PM

A competition question.

Regarding a KCBS competition...Can a Chief cook on a team compete on Team X as the Chief cook and also be just a team member on Team Z at the same contest?

If you answer can you post the rule to back up your answer please?

Edit: Never mind...

2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

Looks like it has changed in the last 11 years...Although I am not real clear on the highlighted area...Why cant I be a designated Chief Cook on one team and a designated assistant cook on another team?

Know Bull 07-24-2013 07:30 PM

you missed the "and/or". Covers that situation.

Bentley 07-24-2013 08:04 PM

I understand that, I guess this is the better question...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 2564041)
Why cant I be a designated Chief Cook on one team and a designated assistant cook on another team?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Bull (Post 2564085)
you missed the "and/or". Covers that situation.

Slamdunkpro 07-24-2013 08:20 PM

(Not trying to be flip)

The short answer is "Because it's against the rules"

Ron_L 07-24-2013 08:20 PM

The way I read that rule is that you can be both at the two competitions on the same date. I don't think it covers being the chief cook on one team at one comp on a given date and then a team member on another team at a different competition on another date.

Bentley 07-24-2013 08:53 PM

It would be the same competition...but two separate teams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2564168)
The way I read that rule is that you can be both at the two competitions on the same date.

Balls Casten 07-24-2013 09:08 PM

I'll bite ... Why do you want to do this?

Hawg Father of Seoul 07-24-2013 09:22 PM

There is no grey area in the rule.

Hawg Father of Seoul 07-24-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 2564041)

2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

The word only and that team is singular. That is the key.

Bentley 07-24-2013 09:25 PM

Just a competition where the opportunity arises where I would like to cook it as in the example, but it does not appear it will be allowed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Casten (Post 2564234)
I'll bite ... Why do you want to do this?

Bentley 07-24-2013 09:28 PM

I am not looking to get around it. I would be curious to know the KCBS reasoning behind it, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul (Post 2564254)
There is no grey area in the rule.

Candy Sue 07-24-2013 09:33 PM

Teams will be identified for team of the year by chief cook member number. That's why notice went out a while ago to KCBS cooks, to have your card handy (or a current Bullsheet, number is in the mailing address). If you are the chief cook of your team, it'd be registered under your number. If you are assisting with another team, you shouldn't be the chief cook of record.

Bentley 07-24-2013 09:48 PM

Correct, that is the reason why I can't figure out the reasoning behind the rule.

Points mean nothing to me as a team...I realized that is not a reason not to have a rule. I just can't figure out why it would matter if I was a Chief Cook on one team and an assistant cook on another team at the same contest?

Do you have any idea the reasoning behind the rule and why it can't be done? I mean, as an assistant cook, the points are a moot issue anyway right?

Or am I just not seeing something simple?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Sue (Post 2564269)
Teams will be identified for team of the year by chief cook member number. That's why notice went out a while ago to KCBS cooks, to have your card handy (or a current Bullsheet, number is in the mailing address). If you are the chief cook of your team, it'd be registered under your number. If you are assisting with another team, you shouldn't be the chief cook of record.

kenthanson 07-24-2013 11:32 PM

I would like to think that it would prevent stacking... If that's the correct term. If you are a very good team that regularly GC's and you go into a smaller comp that still has a decent purse, you could submit your team and another team which you aren't the head cook for points but you run two tents and two smokers side by side and do the meat all the same. Than when awards come and you and your partners teams finish 1 and 2 and take over 70% of the cash.

Hawg Father of Seoul 07-24-2013 11:44 PM

Not trying to be an antagonist here, but there are three other guys that cook with me at times. If this rule was not in place we could cook as two or three teams in a contest.

There is a husband/wife who does something similar in IBCA. You are never quite sure which pit the meat came off. Funny thing is that IBCA pits (intended) all entries against each other. Wife's entry 6th, husband's 7th. Damn near every time.

Edited to add, I am slow...