The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ PitMaster question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166526)

Hardluck 07-22-2013 08:50 AM

BBQ PitMaster question

I was watching last night and had a question. I know they say a Jambo pit is one of the best pits out but, one piece of wood really? someone explain this to me please? I use a stick burner and would never dream or using the amount of wood that Pellet Envy did?

Full Draw BBQ 07-22-2013 08:53 AM

It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.

Hardluck 07-22-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ (Post 2560341)
It's a fully insulated firebox, with a large stack on the other end, so it draws really smoothly, and is amazingly efficient. I watched Triggs manage a cook for 8 hours with a fire no bigger than Rod's........amazing stuff.

Thats AMAZING!!! I have some JAMBO ENVY!!! lol

Ron_L 07-22-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Draw BBQ (Post 2560341)

Yep...

Most Jambo cooks use some charcoal to build a coal base and then one split every 45 minutes or so will hold it at 275-ish.

Andrew 07-22-2013 09:37 AM

i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money

tx_hellraiser 07-22-2013 09:43 AM

I am going to buy me a Jambo One day

indianagriller 07-22-2013 10:25 AM

we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook. :thumb:

Michael Cowley 07-22-2013 11:04 AM

Wow I want a nice cooker for strictly aesthetics I may get me a Jambo

gaspipe1 07-22-2013 01:29 PM

I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagriller (Post 2560459)
we typically start our fire with one chimney load of unlit lump, then add one load of hot lump. then a stick about every 45-60 minutes... we maybe go through 11 sticks in a comp cook. :thumb:

oldbill 07-22-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspipe1 (Post 2560654)
I do not have a stick burner so forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what temp does this process usually keep you at?

It would depend on how large your fire was to begin with. A split every 45 min or so is simply to maintain what is already there. I keep my pit at around 250 normally but sometimes I'll go to 275 or 300.

oldbill 07-22-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 2560389)
i have seen them work in person, very efficient pits, that insulated box is money

Yeah, there's a lot of pits with insulated boxes out there but most of them don't hold a candle to a Jambo! Jamie's got the design that works and even though I think that his pits are a little over priced he definitely puts them together better than anyone else. If I had the cash to spend, I wouldn't hesitate!:wink:

Lake Dogs 07-22-2013 01:48 PM

+1 they're the bomb,for sure... I'd need to win the lottery, but IF I do, a nice Jambo is on my Christmas list...

BaggerBill 07-22-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagriller (Post 2560459)

If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.

Andrew 07-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaggerBill (Post 2560711)
If you are trying to cook at a specific temp, say 250 degrees for example, at what point do you throw on another stick? Do you wait until the temp drops to 245 degrees or something? Is there a certain point that you have in mind when you do this? I hope you don't mind me asking this.

thats the thing that takes a little experience and time. i let mine get about 10 degrees, then i throw one on. or you can not wait and put a piece fairly close and it will slowly light.

TalonBrew 07-22-2013 08:34 PM

What Andrew said.

To me it feels like fire control is more art than science. A few tips here and there and practice is what it takes. The practice is the fun part.