The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Wicked Good Charcoal (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166523)

Ackman 07-22-2013 08:45 AM

Wicked Good Charcoal
 
Have they just gone away? I can not find the product any more and their web site has had this message "Our WGC is temporarily sold out"

I looked around this site and did not see anything....

Plaid Palace 07-22-2013 09:07 AM

Kamado Joe lump comes from the same manufacturing plant in Argentina as WGWW. Trying picking up a bag of it and see how it compares.

nucornhusker 07-22-2013 09:52 AM

I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.

Uncle JJ 07-22-2013 10:12 AM

I found Wicked Good at a local Ace Hardware here in ATL. I also bought a bag of KJ lump. More large pieces in the WG, but other than that, I can't tell a difference.

If you email WG, they can help you find local vendors. They responded quickly to me.

cholloway 07-22-2013 11:44 AM

Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.

Indybbq 07-22-2013 12:03 PM

Wicked Good charcoal is great quality wood with less ash than Kingsford but I've found Stubbs charcoal is a pretty similar product....being 100% natural like Wicked Good and burns just as good.

Plaid Palace 07-22-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucornhusker (Post 2560411)
I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.

Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?

nucornhusker 07-22-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plaid Palace (Post 2560651)
Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?

One of the owners at KJ. He went into specific detail as to what South American countries they source their wood from and the woods they use, and what country WGWW sources wood from. I guess it is possible they are produced in the same factory maybe, but the sources of the woods are different.

oldbill 07-22-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cholloway (Post 2560556)
Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.

I don't know about that man! Unless they have slipped in quality I don't think there's a better lump on the planet than Wicked. I always used RO and down here we have B&B, (both of which are very good) but the Wicked Good that I used in the past was twice as dense, burned longer, hotter and with less ash production. I remember holding a piece that was so heavy and hard feeling that it reminded me of black obsidian rock. Wicked Good, when it's wicked good is just a different animal all together IMHO !LOL

Jethro1 07-22-2013 02:10 PM

They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.

oldbill 07-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro1 (Post 2560716)
They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.

Well that figures! Houses have gone from being built with brick and real 2x4s to OSB and 1 1/5 x 2 1/2s, Cadillacs went from full sized, solid steel luxury cars to over priced, slightly nicer looking, half plastic Chevy Malibus and now Wicked Good has gone wicked bad! Is it just me or is everything going to hades in a hand basket!:mmph::cry:

Mklade 07-22-2013 02:44 PM

B&B Oak Lump is great.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 07-22-2013 04:14 PM

The WGWW I have used has been great but is no longer available through my local ACE. I tried KJ a couple of weeks ago and liked it a lot even though the pieces were smaller. Both brands are more dense and burn longer than the red bag RO.

plowin-fire 07-22-2013 09:38 PM

I just got a pallet of it. Best lump I have used.

Charcoal_Addict 07-23-2013 12:15 AM

WGC is always sold out in the summer. It's the Canadians that have to shop around for alternatives. Minus being hard to light, I've used it several time and the WGC is top notch.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.