The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Restaurant Menu Items (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164938)

82's BBQ 07-03-2013 04:14 PM

Restaurant Menu Items

When you go to a BBQ restaurant what food items do you expect to see on the menu? And what would be nice to see?

deguerre 07-03-2013 04:24 PM

Pork, ribs, brisket, sausage, chicken and turkey. Bologna would be nice. Slaw, tater salad, bbq beans or pintos or both, fries, hush puppies and hot sweet rolls. Cornbread would be nice. NANNER PUDDIN!

Grange 07-03-2013 04:27 PM

I normally like to try the pulled pork and brisket and sometimes spare ribs. For sides I love baked or bbq beans.

Pyle's BBQ 07-03-2013 04:30 PM

I think it really depends on the type of restaurant it is. A food truck/trailer will not have the same items. Smaller places, PP, some type of chicken, brisket. Sides, cole slaw, baked beans, maybe some types of bread. Larger places should have pork ribs, mac & cheese, corn bread.

pmad 07-03-2013 04:35 PM

I'd love to see ABT's on a menu.

jcinadr 07-03-2013 05:08 PM

In Texas, the norm is Brisket, Chopped Brisket (sandwich), Chicken, ribs (beef and/or pork), sausage. Other meats that show up are pork loin, pork chop, turkey, and mutton. Generally meats are available as a plate, sandwich or lb. Cabrito, barbacoa, and al pastor shows up at taco shacks. General sides are bread (included), slaw, onions (included), jalapenos, and potato salad.

Now one shop I like does add a bit. They have bowls - 1/4lb brisket and 1/4lb sausage over beans and 1/4lb of chop over fritos and beens, or the T-man (all of the above). They also serve bake potatoes stuffed with brisket or chop. Another place used to sell chicken breast by the pound (which made a darn nice sandwich cheep).

Bludawg 07-03-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcinadr (Post 2538181)
In Texas, the norm is Brisket, Chopped Brisket (sandwich), Chicken, ribs (beef and/or pork), sausage. Other meats that show up are pork loin, pork chop, turkey, and mutton. Generally meats are available as a plate, sandwich or lb. Cabrito, barbacoa, and al pastor shows up at taco shacks. General sides are bread (included), slaw, onions (included), jalapenos, and potato salad.

^^^ this^^^ with a Choice of Lean or Moist Brisket

realspaazz 07-03-2013 05:20 PM

Whatever is on the menu, it better be very good to excellent. I would rather have a smaller selection and higher quality. I also like to see a menu with some local items.

K-Train 07-03-2013 06:43 PM

If they're good burnt ends

Bonewagon 07-03-2013 08:04 PM

Up here I'd love to see beef ribs more often.

seadad9903 07-03-2013 08:26 PM

Ribs, pulled pork, sausages, cornbread, beans (baked, pinto and green), collards. oh, and apple pie with ice cream.

Would be cool to see pig shots.

JohnHB 07-03-2013 09:11 PM

I've never seen a BBQ restaurant. Someone should open one up in Sydney - it could be popular (and zero competition).

NC-Q 07-03-2013 10:39 PM

My favorite BBQ restaurants in Eastern NC have extremely limited menus, and I LOVE IT! If I were to open a restaurant I'd serve: BBQ plate with hushpuppies and coleslaw, or a sandwich with or without slaw. For dessert, banana puddin'. Nothing else. I think it makes an almost arrogant statement about the confidence you have in your Q if you don't serve anything else... in a good way. I just love the idea of someone doing one thing so well that they don't feel the need to do anything else. I know I'm probably in the minority here...

marubozo 07-03-2013 11:36 PM

Around here, all I want to see on the menu is meat that doesn't come swimming in sauce.

pwa 07-04-2013 01:40 AM

Mines pretty simple but I'm thinking of adding fryes and hush puppies soon. Love seeing the response in this thread. May give me some idea's :)