The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What to buy? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164898)

Cobra7 07-03-2013 07:56 AM

What to buy?

I have a budget of $500. I've been looking a a Bradley, WSM and a Old Country Smoker from Academy Sports. What would y'all get?

dwfisk 07-03-2013 08:03 AM

Wsm!

coastal 07-03-2013 08:05 AM

+1 on wsm. Best quality for the money

EWizza 07-03-2013 08:27 AM

WSM - or go to Costco and get a Vision Classic Kamado for another 100 bucks.

Ron_L 07-03-2013 08:45 AM

WSM... And take the extra cash and buy meat :-D

kds9547 07-03-2013 08:46 AM

I have three words - WSM!!!

Bludawg 07-03-2013 08:54 AM

IMO if it Plugs in to the wall It aint worth the money the best BBQ comes from a naturally aspirated fire. So that narrows the field to 2 the WSM and the Old Country. Now you need you ask yourself how involved do you want to be in the cooking process. If you enjoy sitting in the shade with a good book and a cooler full of brewskies and managing a "Small Hot Fire" your a Stick burner type. If you want to go off and mow the yard take care of the honeydo list and whatever else your a WSM type. All this said if you learn to cook on a stick burner it will make you a better cook over all with the ability master any pit. also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking will all wood.

Smokin'Butts 07-03-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2537592)
IMO if it Plugs in to the wall It aint worth the money the best BBQ comes from a naturally aspirated fire. So that narrows the field to 2 the WSM and the Old Country. Now you need you ask yourself how involved do you want to be in the cooking process. If you enjoy sitting in the shade with a good book and a cooler full of brewskies and managing a "Small Hot Fire" your a Stick burner type. If you want to go off and mow the yard take care of the honeydo list and whatever else your a WSM type. All this said if you learn to cook on a stick burner it will make you a better cook over all with the ability master any pit. also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking will all wood.

You had me until the whole "also note the best tasting BBQ comes off stick burners cooking with all wood" part...:frusty: The BBQ taste equally as good from any style of pit, it is the pitmaster not the pit that makes good BBQ!

HankB 07-03-2013 09:40 AM

Add my vote for the WSM. All you have to decide is which size.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...SC_5940-PP.JPG

columbia1 07-03-2013 10:01 AM

No brainer, WSM!!!

pigville porkers 07-03-2013 10:04 AM

When in doubt. WSM !!

superlazy 07-03-2013 10:06 AM

Yep another vote for WSM

discmen95 07-03-2013 10:22 AM

Do not buy the Bradley. Works great, for a while, till the heating element burns out, after a few cooks. Even when it does work, the little discs are prohibitively expensive.

EWizza 07-03-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discmen95 (Post 2537713)
Do not buy the Bradley. Works great, for a while, till the heating element burns out, after a few cooks. Even when it does work, the little discs are prohibitively expensive.

Had mine now for 5 years and still going strong. Only gets use now when I am totally lazy or out of room on my other cookers.

The pucks are a bit expensive but you use them only for smoke not fuel so you dont need to use all that many for a cook.

All that being said - buy something else!

deguerre 07-03-2013 10:42 AM

I'd get a Weber OTS (Or OTG) 22.5 and a Cajun Bandit conversion kit. You'd have a virtual big WSM (With a better door) and still have a great grill too. If you could score a CL Performer as the base for the CB like I did, even better.