The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2013 weber Jumbo joe wsm???? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164798)

Hootie125 07-02-2013 02:40 AM

2013 weber Jumbo joe wsm????

I would like to turn my 2013 jumbo joe into a wsm any suggestions? What size pot do I use and what brand ? I don't have the jumbo joe yet ,I'm just trying to get all of the parts together before hand.

MisterChrister 07-02-2013 05:58 AM

It should take a 30 gallon steel drum. They can all vary slightly in diameter so get your Joe first then match it up. It may take awhile though, steel 30s aren't very common anymore and not every drum is a good fit to the kettle. It's a worthwhile endeavor, just might take a little persistence.

Harbormaster 07-02-2013 07:46 AM

I guess my question is, if you don't have the Jumbo Joe yet, why not just get a WSM?
A Jumbo conversion is going to be the same size as an 18.5" WSM, right? And the WSM is designed to be a smoker. The Jumbo is designed to be a grill.
The mini-WSM built on the SJS or SJG platform fills a niche for a smoker smaller than the WSM.
I can see the lure of doing a build, and if it's what you really want to do, Chris's advise is spot on.

HankB 07-02-2013 08:36 AM

I'm with Harbormaster on this. But perhaps the issue is price. The 18.5 WSM is great but not cheap at $300 and they don't come up too often on CL. However were I to do the conversion I would be inclined to start with a CL 18.5 WSM and shorten the legs or fab some short legs.

Is there a particular reason to use the JJ instead of a kettle? Kettles are much more available on CL. Just looked at the Weber site and I see that the JJ has a single daisy wheel bottom vent vs the ash sweeper so it would provide better temperature control (unless you find an older 18.5 kettle with daisy wheel bottom vents. The WSM has always had the daisy wheel vents AFAIK.)

ccourt9283 07-02-2013 08:48 AM

Has anyone tried the Pro-Q BBQ stacker for the 18.5" WSM on a Smokey Joe Jumbo? Stifflers Surplus has 'em for $33 but shipping is $25, still probably a good deal if it fits.

Hootie125 07-03-2013 02:46 AM

The reason I decided to use a jumbo joe is I want to take it with me in my rv and want to be able to go back and forth from smoking to grilling. I have read several articles on the pro stacker and not sure if it will fit the 2013 jumbo joe. In the past on the older models some it would fit and others it wold not

katman 07-03-2013 08:42 AM

Why couldn't you grill from the base of the WSM?

EWizza 07-03-2013 09:10 AM

I've got a jumbo joe now so I'm interested as well with any info.

HankB 07-03-2013 09:36 AM

Have you considered a mini-WSM? It is a surprisingly capable cooker and will use less space than any of the cookers described above. It performs admirably as a smoker - as well as my bigger smokers. For grilling I have the choice to use it as designed or leave the water pan out and grill on the top grate with the middle section in place. That provides a sort of indirect grilling which works well for stuff like moinks, turds and so on. I find that it fills the bill for me on many occasions. Were I to choose something that would be both useful and save space, it would be my choice hands down. Here are my smokers. A JJ with middle section would likely be more compact than the 18 WSM (in the middle.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...SC_5940-PP.JPG