The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Injection Question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164421)

Lockon 06-27-2013 12:24 PM

Injection Question

How far in advance do you inject brisket and pork butt before it goes on the smoker?

cpw 06-27-2013 12:57 PM

I like to inject 4-5 hours ahead of time.

chad 06-27-2013 01:10 PM

Ideally several hours to overnight. But, I've also injected, rubbed, and put in the cooker! But then my injection is not enhanced with unpronouncable chemical names. Also, if you have vinegar in the injection it may start "pickling" the meat where it pools!! Don't ask me how I know this!

NickyG 06-27-2013 01:17 PM

We strive for at least 4 and no more than 8.

John Bowen 06-27-2013 01:30 PM

When I do I try for at least 4 hours but I like over night if possible.

Lockon 06-27-2013 01:47 PM

Thanks a bunch for the response....I will probably do "over night" (8-12 hours) then. I am going to try the Chris Lilly recipe for the pork butt and I bought some Butcher BBQ injection for the brisket.

Thanks again :)

Bludawg 06-27-2013 02:22 PM

I don't inject:fear:

Lockon 06-27-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2531329)
I don't inject:fear:

I know Bludawg lol....I really, really, really appreciate all your help and advice, but I have got to try it just once :icon_smile_tongue:

Lake Dogs 06-27-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockon (Post 2531304)
Thanks a bunch for the response....I will probably do "over night" (8-12 hours) then. I am going to try the Chris Lilly recipe for the pork butt and I bought some Butcher BBQ injection for the brisket.

Thanks again :)

I'm thinking this (above) could be a huge mistake. First, know that any rub or injection that has much salt at all will be amplified the longer it's left in the meat. Then, please know that Chris Lilly's recipe is known to be extremely, and I really mean EXTREMELY salty.

For what it's worth, most competitors inject, and most inject using their own version of Chris Lilly's published injection. They're simple, and less salty. Most are simply apple juice (un-watered and no need to add back additional sugar), worchestershire (which has a little salt already), and some of their rub. Rubs usually have some salt in them; the combination of this and the worchestershire usually does the trick.

Frankly, in the morning, I go light the fire, then I come back and inject my butts and briskets, then I apply the rubs, then I go move the lit coals into the smoker. 45 minutes later, give or take, the smoker is ready temperature wise and I put the meats in at that time. Usually the meat has been injected all of 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

JS-TX 06-27-2013 06:18 PM

For pork, I highly recommend Chris Hart's (Wicked Good BBQ book) pork injection, much better than CL injection IMO.

Lockon 06-27-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake Dogs (Post 2531465)
I'm thinking this (above) could be a huge mistake. First, know that any rub or injection that has much salt at all will be amplified the longer it's left in the meat. Then, please know that Chris Lilly's recipe is known to be extremely, and I really mean EXTREMELY salty.

For what it's worth, most competitors inject, and most inject using their own version of Chris Lilly's published injection. They're simple, and less salty. Most are simply apple juice (un-watered and no need to add back additional sugar), worchestershire (which has a little salt already), and some of their rub. Rubs usually have some salt in them; the combination of this and the worchestershire usually does the trick.

Frankly, in the morning, I go light the fire, then I come back and inject my butts and briskets, then I apply the rubs, then I go move the lit coals into the smoker. 45 minutes later, give or take, the smoker is ready temperature wise and I put the meats in at that time. Usually the meat has been injected all of 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

Uggg.....I thought I had a game plan, but guess I don't. So a NO on the Chris Lilly injection recipe? Do just apple juice, Worcestershire, and some of the rub? I am going to be soooo stressed out before it is all over with :twitch:

yakdung 06-27-2013 08:39 PM

Overnight for the PButts. I do not inject brisket.