The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket in SE Wisconsin (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164379)

Fishin4bass723 06-26-2013 10:00 PM

Brisket in SE Wisconsin

I am having a hard time finding brisket in SE WI. I have looked at the local butchers and they say they can get it but dont want the upcharge for special ordering the local grocery stores don't have it. I haven't tried Sam's yet. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

superlazy 06-26-2013 10:51 PM

GFS my friend $2.48lb.IIRC. Sam's has not had em in yrs and there are no good butchers left since model market sold to new owners

Beef 06-26-2013 11:23 PM

Try your local asian or spanish grocier, they typically have a great butcher department .
Also, find your local butcher and befriend him. Mine will call me when he gets a case of briskets or Pork bellies.
Find someone who has a resturaunt depot membership, like a local caterer or even a resturaunt, and they may be willing to let you go on a field trip, or to pick up a brisket on their next visit. Dont give up.

I am currently working with a slauter house in Kewauskum to get a rack of Beef Ribs. But that is quit a drive for you.

Lastly, you could try searching craigslist for local farmers that sell their beef.

:hand: I will stop now. OK, lastly, find a co-worker who has a costco membership. their meat does not suck

JonM106 06-27-2013 06:47 AM

Can't help you with Kenosha, and I know it's a haul for you in Kenosha, but if you're ever in Racine, check out Danny's on 3 Mile and Charles (used to be south of Hwy 11, but moved to the north side ten years ago or so.)

Also, if you ever find yourself at the Milwaukee Co. airport or somewhere around there, go to Ray's on Loomis just off of Layton.

TroyA65 06-27-2013 07:51 AM

I was wondering the same thing, can't find tri-tips anywhere either. Good to know they have brisket at GFS, I was getting ready to drive to Vernon Hills to see what Costco had. I haven't been to GFS since they opened (taste testing day), I thought they only had pre-made foods. I have a Sam's membership and they occasionally have brisket, but only flats, got one of those last year.

ButtBurner 06-27-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyA65 (Post 2530789)
I was wondering the same thing, can't find tri-tips anywhere either. Good to know they have brisket at GFS, I was getting ready to drive to Vernon Hills to see what Costco had. I haven't been to GFS since they opened (taste testing day), I thought they only had pre-made foods. I have a Sam's membership and they occasionally have brisket, but only flats, got one of those last year.

GFS now sells (limited) fresh meats. I have bought several briskets from one, they were good.

Not all sell the same thing. So you have to check

For Tri Tip, if you have a Trader Joes around they have them and are very good. I really like the Santa Maria marinaded one

TroyA65 06-27-2013 08:12 AM

I hear a lot about Trader Joe's but the closest one is 45-60 minutes away :sad:

chicagokp 06-27-2013 09:52 AM

I contacted Calumet Diversified Meats in Pleasant Prairie and they confirmed the had full packer briskets. I haven't been up there to look but it may be close for you.

Www.porkchops.com

Thermal Mass 06-27-2013 10:08 AM

Well, if you head up this way for some bass fishing, there are some great butchers very near some great bass lakes.:mrgreen::thumb:
See, now you have two excuses to head up this way..:shock:

TroyA65 06-27-2013 10:46 AM

Thermal,

I go up and down hwy 45 almost every weekend in the summer. I'll pm you.

Chicago,

I drive by Calumet almost daily. I stopped in about 6-7 years ago and wasn't impressed...but I wasn't looking for a packer, I'll check it out.

Thermal Mass 06-27-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyA65 (Post 2531063)
Thermal,

I go up and down hwy 45 almost every weekend in the summer. I'll pm you.

You will go six miles out of your way at the most and less than one at the lest for 5 of the best butchers around!!

superlazy 06-27-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

I drive by Calumet almost daily. I stopped in about 6-7 years ago and wasn't impressed...but I wasn't looking for a packer, I'll check it out.
They are very expensive

Stoke&Smoke 06-27-2013 01:26 PM

There's a Restaurant Depot in Milwaukee that would likely have Tri tip AND brisket, just call first to make sure Milwaukee, WI 5250 South 6th Street Milwaukee, WI 53213
Phone is 414-483-2996

Remi26 06-27-2013 08:54 PM

Festival has brisket but you have to ask for a whole one or they'll try to give you a 1 or 1 1/2 lb cut from the display. If you ask for a whole one, they come 6 - 8 lbs and vacuum packed.

TroyA65 06-27-2013 09:13 PM

Good to know Remy, we just got a Festival.