The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Open Burning ordinances and BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163664)

Drh7003 06-18-2013 10:46 AM

Open Burning ordinances and BBQ
 
Yesterday, my municipality posted an "Open Burning" ordinance reminder on Facebook. With a Ending line - "
An electric or gas grill is permitted for cooking of food." Today after a great number of citizen comments this was added "
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted"

Well, That isn't what the ordinance says, but if that is their interpretation, then I am somewhat good with it. I just ponder the implications in the future.

I "believe" the main concern of the municipality is the influx of open fire pits, fire bowls and Chiminea, or as they call it "ambience" fires. Our borough has a population of around 1100 people, and it used to be a really nice place to live. BUT a new development was built with pretty expensive homes with people who moved here from other states. It will be really interesting at the next meeting...


Bludawg 06-18-2013 10:56 AM

When you cook, cook allot so when the FD shows up to put out your pit you can feed them first they might just change their mind. FF like good food.

DownHomeQue 06-18-2013 10:56 AM

man that is terrible.. in PA.. move far south! lol we don't have any of those problems.. lol

SmokinJohn 06-18-2013 11:00 AM

I say you roast the interlopers, low and slow!

Elfmaze 06-18-2013 11:19 AM

Amazing to see the huge house thing spreading that far out. Allentown is getting slammed with EX New Yorkers that come out and buy there "cheap" half million dollar Mc Mansions. really screwing up the real estate prices and traffic here

Gnaws on Pigs 06-18-2013 02:51 PM

I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. :becky: that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.

ButtBurner 06-18-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs (Post 2520552)
I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. :becky: that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.

I did not know you live in Detroit.

Teamfour 06-18-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drh7003 (Post 2520259)
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted

I'm not a lawyer but I do deal with legislative language everyday. I read the statement as saying that grills, BBQs, etc are not banned.

jamus34 06-18-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs (Post 2520552)
I'm amazed there are any rich yankees left up there to mess y'all up, I thought they had all already moved to Florida and here in western NC. :becky: that's why I like living out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere-I can build huge bonfires, pee off the front porch, shoot automatic weapons all day, skin deer hung off a tree in the yard, let my grass get waist high, or anything else that I durn well want to do.

My folks moved out there from NJ....but I can tell you they're the furthest thing from the yuppie NY'er mentality.

Me personally I'm looking forward to moving out (although not nearly as far as I would really like). More and more I find that I really dislike the town I live in and the people (both the kids themselves and the parents of the kids) that my children are getting to know.

I'm most definitely not a "mountain man" type...don't hunt...fish once in a blue moon but never cleaned and kept my catch. But I like to BBQ...and I like to try to do home projects on my own within reason...Apparently things like mowing your own yard, putting in a garden and putting up a clothesline are extremely frowned upon in my town...ironic thing is growing up the town I lived in now was all working class WWII vets. Real shame where things have gotten to.

Now I'm just trying to bide my time til I can get out to west Jersey and get a little more property and not worry about my neighbors one way or the other.

caliking 06-18-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamus34 (Post 2520585)
My folks moved out there from NJ....but I can tell you they're the furthest thing from the yuppie NY'er mentality.

Me personally I'm looking forward to moving out (although not nearly as far as I would really like). More and more I find that I really dislike the town I live in and the people (both the kids themselves and the parents of the kids) that my children are getting to know.

I'm most definitely not a "mountain man" type...don't hunt...fish once in a blue moon but never cleaned and kept my catch. But I like to BBQ...and I like to try to do home projects on my own within reason...Apparently things like mowing your own yard, putting in a garden and putting up a clothesline are extremely frowned upon in my town...ironic thing is growing up the town I lived in now was all working class WWII vets. Real shame where things have gotten to.

Now I'm just trying to bide my time til I can get out to west Jersey and get a little more property and not worry about my neighbors one way or the other.

Mowing your own yard is an issue?? Man, that bites.

To the OP: bbq pits (wood/ charcoal ones) are usually exempt from these burn bans. They are mostly trying to discourage open fires, especially ones that can produce burning embers that the wind can disperse.

jamus34 06-18-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliking (Post 2520598)
Mowing your own yard is an issue?? Man, that bites.

To the OP: bbq pits (wood/ charcoal ones) are usually exempt from these burn bans. They are mostly trying to discourage open fires, especially ones that can produce burning embers that the wind can disperse.

Apparently your considered "lower class" if your actually do you own yardwork instead of hiring a landscaper (cutting service really) to do it.

captndan 06-18-2013 03:43 PM

We have a volunteer fire department. When any of them drive by they stop and see if everything is ok. They have ask my to cook for their fundraiser. Damn right I will! Used to be that everyone waved when they went by. Lots of pickups and tractors. Now it's SUV's BMW's. No waves just noses sticking up in the air.

Teltum 06-18-2013 03:56 PM

Yeah, I live in a city (A poor city at that). Cops don't bother me unless the whiney neghbors call the cops on me for my trash falling over in a wind storm the cop was decent enough when he found out he woke me up from napping and I had no clue.

deguerre 06-18-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfmaze (Post 2520308)
Amazing to see the huge house thing spreading that far out. Allentown is getting slammed with EX New Yorkers that come out and buy there "cheap" half million dollar Mc Mansions. really screwing up the real estate prices and traffic here

It's like Reconstruction in reverse...:rolleyes:

Porcine Perfection 06-18-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drh7003 (Post 2520259)
Yesterday, my municipality posted an "Open Burning" ordinance reminder on Facebook. With a Ending line - "
An electric or gas grill is permitted for cooking of food." Today after a great number of citizen comments this was added "
Grills, BBQ's, related cooking devices of food preparation for human consumption are excepted"

Well, That isn't what the ordinance says, but if that is their interpretation, then I am somewhat good with it. I just ponder the implications in the future.

I "believe" the main concern of the municipality is the influx of open fire pits, fire bowls and Chiminea, or as they call it "ambience" fires. Our borough has a population of around 1100 people, and it used to be a really nice place to live. BUT a new development was built with pretty expensive homes with people who moved here from other states. It will be really interesting at the next meeting...


My dogs would make me move.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.