The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Charcoal issue. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163176)

SC_Dave 06-12-2013 12:13 PM

Charcoal issue.

I have been using Royal Oak and the minion method in my UDS for about a year now. The last couple of times I've had difficulty getting the temp up. I figured it may have been damp charcoal but I am at the point I am ready to try something else. Maybe lump? What type and brand to you guys use?
Thanks, David

DownHomeQue 06-12-2013 12:32 PM

have you tried mixing wood in? or you usually run straight charcoal? lump charcoal is good.. it burns hotter but doesn't last as long as brickets..

Carbon 06-12-2013 12:33 PM

How about Kingsford blue? They're cheap, and consistent. And you might even like it.

DownHomeQue 06-12-2013 12:45 PM

kingsford blue is a decent option.. RO is a good option too.. they make lump also.. RO does.. You have a certain faction of the brethren that bashes Kingsford blue.. I have never had a problem with kingsford Blue bag..

oldbill 06-12-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC_Dave (Post 2513402)
I have been using Royal Oak and the minion method in my UDS for about a year now. The last couple of times I've had difficulty getting the temp up. I figured it may have been damp charcoal but I am at the point I am ready to try something else. Maybe lump? What type and brand to you guys use?
Thanks, David

Sometimes the problem with briquettes is that they ash over and don't give off as much heat. I like to use natural briquettes that are made from lump such as the kingsford competition. Natural briquettes burn hotter and produce less ash than regular briquettes do. They're not as hot burning as lump but are more consistant and even burning.

titan7 06-12-2013 02:04 PM

I use a mixture of KB Kcomp and lump.

Bludawg 06-12-2013 02:36 PM

I use lump from HEB or RO lump

spedly 06-12-2013 02:45 PM

I usually use Royal Oak lump in both my smoker and in my grill. If I'm only smoking (ie smoking bacon) then I use Royal Oak briquettes because I find they're easier to manage at low temps.

Smokin'Butts 06-12-2013 03:08 PM

I don't have anything against KBB, and I regularly use it in my kettle. However, in my fatboy nothing beats some good ole lump.

Smokin'Butts 06-12-2013 03:09 PM

Also, if ash is a concern you will be amazed by the decrease in the amount of ash when using lump vs. briq

John Bowen 06-12-2013 03:28 PM

I have been using Chef Select charcoal in the big smoker and let me tell you - before you even put any meat on the smoker radiates BBQ smells. I have had neighbors come by and ask what I am cooking and what smells so good before the smoker even comes up to temp and I put wood chunks in.

I have been trying the lump in the smaller smoker and I like the clean burn / less ash mess. I don't think it would be practical in the big offset but for the BWS Party it has done well by me.

charrederhead 06-12-2013 04:08 PM

I've been happy w/ my recent switch from KBB to the "new" Cowboy lump.

I get a few long cooks (butts/ribs @250-310) in the WSM from one load of lump w/o having to clean out the ash.

I (or, the WSM I should say) doesn't have the "inconsistent" burn problem some report w/ lump.

The minimal amount of ash is a great advantage w/ lump.

SC_Dave 06-12-2013 04:11 PM

Thanks guys, choices of brands and types are limited in my area. Maybe I just got a bad bag of RO?

Found this and thought you guys might find it interesting, I did.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/compkingsford.html

SC_Dave 06-12-2013 05:05 PM

Ash is an issue for me also on long burns. I think I am going to raise the basket higher off the ash pan so it won't choke the air.
David

lantern 06-12-2013 05:45 PM

Do you have a "do it best" near you? I really have been enjoying my chef select briquettes from them. You can order 40 pound bags and have it shipped free to a do it best store near you. and if you use the code goldrush you save 10%