The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   smoky joe pork fried rice (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162839)

Zippylip 06-08-2013 05:28 PM

smoky joe pork fried rice
 
This was one of those days where I had no plan, all alone, & the fridge was pretty much empty. Poking around trying to come up with something to slap together when I happened upon two very thinly sliced pieces of bone in butt steaks in the freezer along with a bag of frozen veggies. Started thinking pork fried rice so into the pantry I went & there it was, the 9 year old box of uncle bens brown rice with just enough left in it to make the dish, then into the fridge to locate the even older bottle of soy sauce.

I've recently come across a contingent that thinks the smoky joe is without use & is best suited taking up space in a landfill. I find that to be absurd because I manage to find a use for the little guy nearly every day, today being no different.

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...pscfd5ff92.jpg

about 1/3 of a chimney of Kingsford & a fist full of mesquite setup indirect, pork steaks rubbed with salt & pepper, lid on & let it get happy :clap2::

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps397f0591.jpg

little while later all sliced up & ready to go:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps5ea5bae1.jpg

get the wok screaming hot:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...psb012c937.jpg

the prehistoric rice, frozen veggies & half a sliced onion that was also hiding in the fridge:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps8133e956.jpg

onion in first to saute for a few minutes:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps0b99ef83.jpg

then the rest of the stuff:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps69155049.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...psf072c511.jpg

not sure where she came from :heh:

fry the crap out of it for a good few minutes:

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps267e8c9b.jpg

and eat

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps2a949e99.jpg

not bad

bluetang 06-08-2013 06:07 PM

Not bad at all!:clap2:

morgaj1 06-08-2013 06:55 PM

Is that a Miller High Life I see in the first picture? I understand, as it is the "Champagne of Beers."

runnoft 06-08-2013 09:17 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!!! The food looks real good too.

code3rrt 06-08-2013 09:22 PM

Looks delicious!

KC

savageford 06-08-2013 09:52 PM

Nice use of what ya got, I would definitely hit that!

AussieTitch 06-09-2013 03:28 AM

Looks great.
Sophia is still looking good at 70 odd years as well

Zippylip 06-09-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgaj1 (Post 2508867)
Is that a Miller High Life I see in the first picture? I understand, as it is the "Champagne of Beers."

that is indeed a High Life, a standard beverage of choice here in hot weather :icon_smile_tongue:

Zippylip 06-09-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieTitch (Post 2509188)
Looks great.
Sophia is still looking good at 70 odd years as well

Absolutely, basically timeless, for me perhaphs the most beautiful woman that has ever lived

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps691e921c.jpg

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l...ps6adebbcc.jpg

:becky:

Big George's BBQ 06-09-2013 07:25 AM

Looks Great to me food and Sophia :biggrin1:

deguerre 06-09-2013 08:14 AM

Looks good! So how did using the frozen veggies work out for you texture wise?

Zippylip 06-09-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2509298)
Looks good! So how did using the frozen veggies work out for you texture wise?

deguerre, they worked out very nice. They were the birdseye 'steam in bag' kind, pop the bag in the microwave for 6 minutes & the bag blows up like a balloon. Truthfully I can't tell the difference between these & fresh, once they're cooked they all taste about the same to me anyway.

In fact I enjoyed this so much I'm now going to duplicate it on purpose :laugh:, this morning I picked up a similar bag but this one has sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, carrots & broccoli - also picked up a pack of chicken thighs & some chicken stock, next batch will be chicken fried rice & I'll cook the rice in the stock for flavor & cut back on the soy sauce.

DerHusker 06-09-2013 09:23 AM

Nice save and good looking meal.

CharredApron 06-09-2013 09:41 AM

Awesome, what did you say you made for dinner?

deguerre 06-09-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippylip (Post 2509340)
deguerre, they worked out very nice. They were the birdseye 'steam in bag' kind, pop the bag in the microwave for 6 minutes & the bag blows up like a balloon. Truthfully I can't tell the difference between these & fresh, once they're cooked they all taste about the same to me anyway.

In fact I enjoyed this so much I'm now going to duplicate it on purpose :laugh:, this morning I picked up a similar bag but this one has sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, carrots & broccoli - also picked up a pack of chicken thighs & some chicken stock, next batch will be chicken fried rice & I'll cook the rice in the stock for flavor & cut back on the soy sauce.

Thanks! I've never used frozen, but I have been eying the Birdseye stir fry veggie mix. Sure would be easier to just have them in the freezer without worrying they'll go bad in the fridge before you get around to cooking them. Not that I know anything about that...:roll:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.