The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I built a Mini WSM while I'm waiting (excessive pRon) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162679)

TroyA65 06-06-2013 06:10 PM

I built a Mini WSM while I'm waiting (excessive pRon)

14 Attachment(s)
I'm waiting for my MJH to get shipped (maybe another week or so) and so I decided I would build a mini WSM to get me through withdrawals until the new unit arrives. I started with this stuff.

Attachment 80189

As you can see I used the IMUSA tamale steamer, kind of a pain in the arse. I had to bend the top over and down (this step took longer than all other steps combined). For any future build I would try the Vascondia brand. I used the steamer insert to mark a pattern on the bottom of the pot.

Attachment 80197

After it was all marked up, I used a 1/4" drill to get some pilot holes.

Attachment 80198

The I changed to a 1/2" drill and hit all the holes again.

Attachment 80199

I also added an aluminum control rod (held in place with E-clips) for draft, and an aluminum pie plate for a larger ash tray.

Attachment 80200

I then added a ash barrier to insure a continuous flow of air even after a lot of ash drops through. It's a canned chicken can with 8 1/2" holes drill in it.

Attachment 80201

I then used some expanded metal (cold rolled) cut into 3" tall strips to build a cage for the lump. I'm not completely convinced that this step was necessary but that's what they had on the Weber site so I built it.

Attachment 80202

Fill the cage with Lump.

Attachment 80207

On goes the pot.

Attachment 80203

Then I put in a aluminum pie pan as a heat defuser. I'm not completely convinced that this is necessary either since I put the steamer tray back in on top of the pie pan.

Attachment 80204
Attachment 80205

On goes the cooking grate.

Attachment 80206

Started the fire, and then add some food for a test run. I sprinkled some yardbird on pieces of chicken breast and then wrapped in bacon. Let run for an 60-90 minutes (until they were done). Forgot the after pic :crazy: but this is what it looked like during the run.

Attachment 80209

It ran a steady 260-270 for about 4 hours. This load was a half arse dump in the cage. I'm pretty sure I can get 5-6 hours with a full, well placed load. I gotta say this is a really fun/cool project, and when it's done it actually works very very well. I am amazed at how steady it held temps, it was a windy, gloomy day and temp was between 55-60f. I did set it out of the direct wind.

Very fun, you should try it!!

superlazy 06-06-2013 06:11 PM

Tease

Big M1ke 06-06-2013 06:15 PM

I really want to build one of these.

dwfisk 06-06-2013 06:16 PM

So, my 18 year old was assigned cleaning up the shop this week, did a great job then asked "dad, what is our next project"? I showed him the SJ, tamale pot and other hardware and said "the next project is yours, build a mini WSM any way you want". Can't wait to see what we get!

TroyA65 06-06-2013 07:04 PM

Sorry Superlazy, it took a while to get all the pics loaded (and for me to figure out how to load them)

TY~DY 06-06-2013 07:12 PM

Great build. I love mine. Great little wonders of cooking, aint they!

TroyA65 06-06-2013 07:13 PM

I'm planning on doing a pork butt either tomorrow or Saturday on my new toy!! I'll try to remember the after cook photos next time!

Ron_L 06-06-2013 07:15 PM

Nice job!