The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Contest Announcment Pork In The Park Stamford, CT (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162548)

bbqdavarrow 06-05-2013 09:16 AM

Pork In The Park Stamford, CT

The website is up for Pork In The Park, Stamford, CT July 13th & 14th
http://www.porkintheparkbbq.com/

pigmaker23 06-05-2013 08:02 PM

Well that sucks, direct conflict with Troy contest for me.. Really wanted to do this one, know it will be great if Bobby is involved!

bbqdavarrow 06-06-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigmaker23 (Post 2505483)
Well that sucks, direct conflict with Troy contest for me.. Really wanted to do this one, know it will be great if Bobby is involved!

Yea, its going to be a good event, too bad you can't make it!

JimmyDAL 06-06-2013 06:31 PM

The Perfect Butt is gonna leave my Maine vacation early to be there

CBQ 06-07-2013 12:18 AM

Going to Troy this year. If they announced it earlier, might have given it a shot.

Jacked UP BBQ 06-07-2013 12:38 PM

Why would KCBS allow two comps so close to each other the same weekend?

CarolinaQue 06-07-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2507515)

Why not?

eggzlot 06-07-2013 02:30 PM

They are 2.5 hours away. I know we do not get a ton of comps in this area, but that seems like a far enough distance to attract teams from different geographic areas.

bbqdavarrow 06-08-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2507515)

Bob was also considering the following weekend, but that is the same week as the Rhode Island Comp, and he thought that was too close.

JimmyDAL 06-08-2013 05:48 AM

Thanks for having one in Ct! Bob ran the original one and that's where we first started in backyard. He is a cook, restaurant owner and a competitor so he knows what he is doing.

CBQ 06-08-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaQue (Post 2507524)
Why not?

Unlike, say, Kansas that has a million comps, there aren't that many sanctioned contests in NE. We hate to miss a good one. There are a few open weekends in August now with the Maine comps dropping out, one of those dates might have been better.

bbqdavarrow 06-09-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 2508381)
Unlike, say, Kansas that has a million comps, there aren't that many sanctioned contests in NE. We hate to miss a good one. There are a few open weekends in August now with the Maine comps dropping out, one of those dates might have been better.

August would be too close to Bob's "Blues, Views" Westport Event which is Labor Day Weekend This Year. He had to pick a date and get this event off the ground, and with the event being a fundraiser for the interns at Mill River Park & Greenway and the Mayor’s Youth Employment Program there were more things to consider overall than just what is a good weekend for a BBQ Comp. So if 15 teams sign up this could be a CT State BBQ Championship, it will be held at a great new downtown location!

CBQ 06-09-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqdavarrow (Post 2509290)
August would be too close to Bob's "Blues, Views" Westport Event which is Labor Day Weekend This Year. He had to pick a date and get this event off the ground, and with the event being a fundraiser for the interns at Mill River Park & Greenway and the Mayor’s Youth Employment Program there were more things to consider overall than just what is a good weekend for a BBQ Comp. So if 15 teams sign up this could be a CT State BBQ Championship, it will be held at a great new downtown location!

The Westport event hasn't been a full KCBS sanctioned event for several years - as far as most competition teams are concerned it doesn't exist.

I have seen a lot of organizers arrange events without taking into account what teams are looking for, and they sometimes struggle to get participants. Troy is "right next door" in pro BBQ terms.

I'm not sure if a first year 15 team event needs a proclamation for The Jack - it might. Would be nice if The Jack published all the rules, but they don't.

blackeyedpig 06-09-2013 02:24 PM

What's up with the Saturday check in time? Have to be there by 8 AM (9 on the KCBS application) when the cooks meeting is not till 4? I'm thinking of entering but the only way to get there from central NJ by that time is to check in Friday night which I'm not sure I can do.

wickedbbq'r 06-09-2013 07:07 PM

Check is in the mail! Looking forward to this contest. Bobby runs a great event in Westport and I know he will do what it takes to make this one a success as well. See you there!