The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lump on Sale - Which would you get BGE or Wicked Good??? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161677)

uncblue 05-24-2013 08:46 PM

Lump on Sale - Which would you get BGE or Wicked Good???
 
So I've worked a deal with asst mgr at a True value for 4-6 bags of lump..which do you think is better quality? BGE brand or WG WEW? I've used the WG and really liked it..the guy told me the BGE will burn even longer;

Prices - Addtl 5-10% off sale price for both if I buy 4-6 bags

BGE $24.99 for 20 lbs or WG WEW for $23.99 for 22 lbs

Do you all know of a better deal at a different location?

Thoughts? Thanks for the input....

Smoothsmoke 05-24-2013 08:49 PM

Wicked Good all day.

Dirtbuddy 05-24-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 2492719)
Wicked Good all day.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...-yeah_that.gif

aawa 05-24-2013 10:07 PM

Wicked Good all day er day. BGE to my understanding is made by Royal Oak, which some of their product hasn't really lived up to the quality it once was. And even Royal Oak at top quality didn't have anything on Wicked Good.

charrederhead 05-24-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncblue (Post 2492715)
So I've worked a deal with asst mgr at a True value for 4-6 bags of lump..which do you think is better quality? BGE brand or WG WEW? I've used the WG and really liked it..the guy told me the BGE will burn even longer;

Prices - Addtl 5-10% off sale price for both if I buy 4-6 bags

BGE $24.99 for 20 lbs or WG WEW for $23.99 for 22 lbs

Do you all know of a better deal at a different location?

Thoughts? Thanks for the input....


Cowboy Lump at True Value $8.99/20#. TV website has additional $5 off per $30 order.

Lowe's Cowboy $9.99/20#


Ooops- never mind. :doh:

Dallas Dan 05-24-2013 10:16 PM

It depends. Those are two different types of charcoals. WG is very hard and thus takes longer to start and get going, but it burns a long time. BGE starts much faster but burns out faster. If your doing "short" cooks such as steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. BGE is best for you. But if your doing very long cooks like brisket, go with WG.

caseydog 05-24-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncblue (Post 2492715)
BGE $24.99 for 20 lbs or WG WEW for $23.99 for 22 lbs

WOW! :shock:

Are you going to bring it home in your Ferrari? Twenty five bucks for a 20 pound bag of charcoal?

CD

shirknwrk 05-24-2013 11:57 PM

Wicked Good... BGE is Royal Oak... bigger pieces, maybe.

nucornhusker 05-25-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Dan (Post 2492770)
It depends. Those are two different types of charcoals. WG is very hard and thus takes longer to start and get going, but it burns a long time. BGE starts much faster but burns out faster. If your doing "short" cooks such as steaks, chicken, ribs, etc. BGE is best for you. But if your doing very long cooks like brisket, go with WG.

This is dead-on!

fingerlickin' 05-25-2013 01:01 AM

Wicked Good for sure.

westy 05-25-2013 01:56 AM

Thems california prices! And I like the Wicked.

kds9547 05-25-2013 06:42 AM

When I purchased my egg a few months back I got a free bag of the BGE. Thought it was great and still do. I bought two more bags at 29.99 and then tried the latest run of Cowboy. I will never pay that price for BGE again. I really like the cowboy and just scored 240# at 9.99 for 20#.

I want to try the WG WEW but it is not available in my area and the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.

uncblue 05-25-2013 07:25 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. I was inclined to just suck up the higher prices & buy while on sale but think I'll grab some of the Cowboy & give it a try. Thinking I'll use it for the quick high heat cooks and the WG for my longer smokes. Lump @ The Meathouse was about the same price.

When I posted last night, I had just started smoking a chuckie. Haven't tried it yet as it was late when i put it into the cooler but checked the lump in the fire bowl this am and there is still a majority left.

sfisch 05-25-2013 07:32 AM

Has cowboy improved their product over the past couple years. The last I bought at HD was mostly scraps of tongue and groove flooring. Thanks.

aawa 05-26-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfisch (Post 2492913)
Has cowboy improved their product over the past couple years. The last I bought at HD was mostly scraps of tongue and groove flooring. Thanks.

Cowboy lump has vastly improved their product. The Cowboy that is produced in Mexico is a superior product to Royal Oak. 100% of the lump is chunks of trees and not scrap wood from a mill. Very little unusable dust/chips. It is denser than Royal Oak but not as dense as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.

After purchasing one bag and trying it out, i went out and bought another 5 bags.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.