The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilling skinless boneless chicken breasts (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160939)

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 10:17 AM

Grilling skinless boneless chicken breasts
 
2 Attachment(s)
I see comments that guys cannot cook these without turning them into shoe leather

I figured everyone knew how to do this, but apparently not

I have been cooking them for many years so I thought I would try to help out since its very simple

If the breasts are whole or large, cut them into smaller strips but not too small, maybe 2"

You dont have to brine them, I never do

Start your grill, I use a Weber OTS, with maybe 3/4 chimney of briqs or lump, doesnt really matter

After they are going, dump them in and push them to one side

Put the grill grate on and the lid, let the fire settle in

Then put your meat on the opposite side, away from the heat after you season however you want.

Then just let them cook for about 5 mins, then turn them over, keep doing this and keep your eye on them

Its kind of like cooking a steak, you feel the meat to see just when it starts firming up, pushing on it with your tongs or whatever you are using

You will see them start to plump up, they are about done. Apply sauce and give it a min or two, then remove

If you are not sure they are done, slice one open, it wont hurt anything, they need to be cut anyway

you will quickly get the hang of it. Never cook them direct.

a few pics, they got consumed before I could take a pic of one cut open

Wampus 05-15-2013 10:34 AM

Yeah, personally I don't get why these are the bane of so many a griller.


I don't do them often, but like to grill em up once in a while. While I prefer skin on, bone in breasts over the skinless, boneless variety, I still like to grill up several at a time and then slice them for later use in salads, etc. Sometimes we even actually EAT them for dinner right off the grill! :shock:


I agree.....direct grilling doesn't work well. To me, the secret is watching the internal temp. I pull em off when they hit 145-150. Then they're still nice and juicy. I prefer to not put any sauce on chicken, grilled or smoked. I like to season them liberally and cook em up that way.

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 2481598)
Yeah, personally I don't get why these are the bane of so many a griller.


I don't do them often, but like to grill em up once in a while. While I prefer skin on, bone in breasts over the skinless, boneless variety, I still like to grill up several at a time and then slice them for later use in salads, etc. Sometimes we even actually EAT them for dinner right off the grill! :shock:


I agree.....direct grilling doesn't work well. To me, the secret is watching the internal temp. I pull em off when they hit 145-150. Then they're still nice and juicy. I prefer to not put any sauce on chicken, grilled or smoked. I like to season them liberally and cook em up that way.

I never use a thermo on them, I can tell. But like I said I have been doing them forever, my wife refuses to eat the skin for health reasons so I figure why fight it.

I have been doing them once a week forever. I would rather do bone in skin on breast halves, sometimes I do one just for me

The ones in the pics had Plowboys Yardbird rub and doctored up over the counter sauce

deguerre 05-15-2013 10:43 AM

I do this. Redhot's are STILL always better than mine.

Bamabuzzard 05-15-2013 10:45 AM

I used to be one of those victims of couldn't grill chicken but I've since learned. LOL!


Quote:

Originally Posted by Wampus (Post 2481598)
Yeah, personally I don't get why these are the bane of so many a griller.


I don't do them often, but like to grill em up once in a while. While I prefer skin on, bone in breasts over the skinless, boneless variety, I still like to grill up several at a time and then slice them for later use in salads, etc. Sometimes we even actually EAT them for dinner right off the grill! :shock:


I agree.....direct grilling doesn't work well. To me, the secret is watching the internal temp. I pull em off when they hit 145-150. Then they're still nice and juicy. I prefer to not put any sauce on chicken, grilled or smoked. I like to season them liberally and cook em up that way.


Cherrywood 05-15-2013 10:45 AM

I think the biggest challenge is finding quality meat. Its hard to find chicken that's not old & tough right out of the package. We've been buying our breast meat through Market Day at the kids' school. They're individually vacuum sealed, smaller, and have a more consistent thickness than what you typically find in the store. They're nearly impossible to mess up.

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrywood (Post 2481619)
I think the biggest challenge is finding quality meat. Its hard to find chicken that's not old & tough right out of the package. We've been buying our breast meat through Market Day at the kids' school. They're individually vacuum sealed, smaller, and have a more consistent thickness than what you typically find in the store. They're nearly impossible to mess up.

I dont really find that as an issue, I just get whatever is on sale

I have gotten the Market Day chicken before. I think its overpriced for what you get but its a fundraiser. We do spend probably $70 every month for other Marketday Stuff

dajogejr 05-15-2013 10:50 AM

Thermapen all the way for me, pulling early...
I get 5oz skinless/boneless from work in bulk for CHEAP...season and grill.

Very rarely will I cook with coal solely for chicken, I'll gas my birds.
But If I plan to cook steaks first, burgers, etc., I'll throw 'em on an already hot lump grill.

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajogejr (Post 2481627)
Thermapen all the way for me, pulling early...
I get 5oz skinless/boneless from work in bulk for CHEAP...season and grill.

Very rarely will I cook with coal solely for chicken, I'll gas my birds.
But If I plan to cook steaks first, burgers, etc., I'll throw 'em on an already hot lump grill.

those coals will probably last 3 cooks. the NEW and IMPROVED Cowboy is what you see there. Did not hardly burn down at all but it was a very short cook.

I dont have any gas appliances in my cooking area.

wolfkeg 05-15-2013 02:13 PM

I don't have to brine to make them good, but I like to. You can put a lot of flavor into a bird by brining it. I have also never had a dry, brined bird. I only brine breast or whole birds. You just have to plan ahead.

fingerlickin' 05-15-2013 04:06 PM

The only time I've ever used a thermo on BS chicken breast was when I first got my thermapen. It was dry as all get out.

Never again. I just went back to the tried and true method.
I cook mine direct over medium to medium high heat. 1/4 turn once to make it pretty then flip it once to finish.


Chicken has a grain to it. Take your tongs and grab the breast about 2/3 of the way to the top or thickest part. Pick it up, turn your hand over so that you are trying to break the smooth side and try and break it in half by using the grill grate as leverage. Don't actually break it in half just bend it enough until you can see it would separate if you wanted it to. Just be sure you're trying to break it along the grain of the meat, you'll want to bend it slightly diagonal, not just straight in half.

I don't care what anyone tells you about manhandling your meat and pushing out the juices. This method works, and it works every time. Every and I mean every time I make chicken breasts (which is weekly) my wife tells me she can't believe I how good I can cook chicken and how juicy it is.

Disclaimer, I'm not a burger smasher either. Just trust me once will ya.


On edit: To the OP. I'm not trying to dispute your method. As always there is more than one way to skin a cat. This is just what works for me, so in an effort to help those chicken breast challenged I though I'd throw my method into the discussion. No offense intended.

deguerre 05-15-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerlickin' (Post 2481912)
I don't care what anyone tells you about manhandling your meat and pushing out the juices. This method works, and it works every time..

Ooooooooooooo SAUCY!

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fingerlickin' (Post 2481912)
The only time I've ever used a thermo on BS chicken breast was when I first got my thermapen. It was dry as all get out.

Never again. I just went back to the tried and true method.
I cook mine direct over medium to medium high heat. 1/4 turn once to make it pretty then flip it once to finish.


Chicken has a grain to it. Take your tongs and grab the breast about 2/3 of the way to the top or thickest part. Pick it up, turn your hand over so that you are trying to break the smooth side and try and break it in half by using the grill grate as leverage. Don't actually break it in half just bend it enough until you can see it would separate if you wanted it to. Just be sure you're trying to break it along the grain of the meat, you'll want to bend it slightly diagonal, not just straight in half.

I don't care what anyone tells you about manhandling your meat and pushing out the juices. This method works, and it works every time. Every and I mean every time I make chicken breasts (which is weekly) my wife tells me she can't believe I how good I can cook chicken and how juicy it is.

Disclaimer, I'm not a burger smasher either. Just trust me once will ya.


On edit: To the OP. I'm not trying to dispute your method. As always there is more than one way to skin a cat. This is just what works for me, so in an effort to help those chicken breast challenged I though I'd throw my method into the discussion. No offense intended.

to each his own no offense taken

there is always more than one way, since I know my way, thats what I know LOL

I guess my point is that I just can tell if its done by the firmness of the meat, like a steak.

I have been cooking chicken like this since I bought my first Kettle

In 1977

TroyA65 05-15-2013 04:32 PM

I don't think that they are that hard to cook but I will say bone in skin on tastes SOOOOO much better even if you don't eat the skin. Do a side by side for yourself, if you do both correctly you'll still like bone in better hands down!

ButtBurner 05-15-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyA65 (Post 2481939)
I don't think that they are that hard to cook but I will say bone in skin on tastes SOOOOO much better even if you don't eat the skin. Do a side by side for yourself, if you do both correctly you'll still like bone in better hands down!

Im not going to disagree with that, but that was not the point of my thread.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.