-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (
-   -   Q'ing out of the home? (

71-South 05-08-2013 08:14 PM

Q'ing out of the home?
Hey All,

Like almost everyone on this site, I get told often that I should "sell this stuff" because "it's unbelievable", "blah blah blah..."

Being a mart guy, I have read and read and read through this section of the forum and thus have no illusions of changing professions due to money, time, red tape, etc. But...

My question for you is this. Is there anything one can do out of his house that's BBQ (cooking) related? I realize that rules vary jurisdiction to jurisdiction and I suspect the answer is a resounding NO, but... I was just wondering and interested in the subject.


landarc 05-08-2013 08:18 PM

Some states are now allowing certain types of food to be made in the home. Naturally, you would need to check your state.

71-South 05-08-2013 10:57 PM

So would it be a state thing, or a county thing, or both? Not sure where to start looking?

Pyle's BBQ 05-08-2013 11:14 PM

Start with your county Health Department. If they don't have jurisdiction, they should be able to tell you where to go.

71-South 05-08-2013 11:20 PM

Will do. Thx.

Pa_BBQ 06-01-2013 11:29 AM

I bought an enclosed trailer, turned it into a mobile kitchen with sinks etc.
I then built a pavilion type shelter for my cookers and had it all inspected, got licensed etc. You will have to take the food safety class.

I believe its very hard to get a personal kitchen to pass, and not possible if you have pets.

Bbq Bubba 06-01-2013 03:31 PM

Are you just looking at doing some occasional catering?

mikeleonard81 06-02-2013 09:40 PM

In ohio I know a guy who was having his house built and wanted to do it out of his kitchen. The state told him that his WHOLE HOUSE had to be to code.

landarc 06-02-2013 10:01 PM

In general, per the Uniform Building Code, any kitchen that is used to prepare food that is not served immediately and on premises must be to current local health codes. However, all part of the building that access the kitchen directly must meet those codes, not just the kitchen. That is a UBC code, and to my knowledge, all states use that code. However, California, and I believe a few other states allow for certain uses of home kitchens and over ride that sections of the UBC. If you must leave the kitchen structure to access the rest of the house, then you can use that kitchen.

But, it always comes down to the local County Health Department. Thus, Bryan was correct.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.