The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Food saver ? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160301)

Big George's BBQ 05-06-2013 12:03 PM

Food saver ?

Just cooked a 8.5 lb sirloin r5oast Plan to slice for sammies It is rare- took it off at 137 degrees. Any ideas on how to stop the juice sucked out of the meat/bag I know I can stop the process early just wondered if there was a better way to seal it

ButtBurner 05-06-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ (Post 2472095)
Just cooked a 8.5 lb sirloin r5oast Plan to slice for sammies It is rare- took it off at 137 degrees. Any ideas on how to stop the juice sucked out of the meat/bag I know I can stop the process early just wondered if there was a better way to seal it

put a folded paper towel in the bag just under the sealing area.

John Bowen 05-06-2013 12:06 PM

I you find a way please let me know - I spent most of last Wednesday night cleaning out mine from juice / drippings. :sick:

fingerlickin' 05-06-2013 12:08 PM

I'm not sure if you're planning on slicing it now or later, but you can always freeze it on a tray for a little while then vacusuck it. Or fold up a paper towel and put it between the meat and the sealer.

TroyA65 05-06-2013 12:17 PM

I've used my foodsaver to seal up chili before. What I do is pre-freeze like Fingerlickin mentioned, once it's fairly solid vacusuck away. Don't use a papertowel, you'll loose the juice (unless you plan to wring out the papertowel...nasty)

stl-rich 05-06-2013 12:20 PM

+1 on freeze it first

ButtBurner 05-06-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyA65 (Post 2472116)
I've used my foodsaver to seal up chili before. What I do is pre-freeze like Fingerlickin mentioned, once it's fairly solid vacusuck away. Don't use a papertowel, you'll loose the juice (unless you plan to wring out the papertowel...nasty)

I have been using paper towels for years

it works perfectly fine. You dont lose the juice.

ckelly 05-06-2013 12:39 PM

+1 on freezing (at least partially) beforehand

bluetang 05-06-2013 12:40 PM

Ditto on the paper towels.

Big George's BBQ 05-06-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone Any reason why you cant freeze already cooked chicken thighs

Wampus 05-06-2013 12:49 PM

Chilling it overnight will help a lot.
I bag up all of our leftover BBQ at comps and since I don't have the option of chilling it and bag it while still hot and juicy, all I do is watch and as soon as the juice starts heading for the seal strip, I just hit the "SEAL" button to stop the vacuum. I may still have to wipe the top with a paper towel, but it helps keep most of the juices from getting all over the place.

They do have these LIQUID BLOCK BAGS that you can buy, but I think they're probably not much more than having the paper towel in the top of the bag. I've never done that because I haven't needed to and I don't want the paper towel in there when I reheat the bags. BUT....I ain't knocking it either.

Big George's BBQ 05-06-2013 01:03 PM

I have both the roast and turkey breast in fridge Easier to slice if cold

WannaBeBBQueen 05-06-2013 01:09 PM

Lol...freeze it first George. Easiest way:-D. And yes you can freeze the thighs too.

71-South 05-06-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

all I do is watch and as soon as the juice starts heading for the seal strip, I just hit the "SEAL" button to stop the vacuum. I may still have to wipe the top with a paper towel, but it helps keep most of the juices from getting all over the place.
+1. That's exactly what I do. Never had a problem that way.