-   Q-talk (
-   -   Marinade or Rub when smoking? (

Hooph Hearted 05-02-2013 09:12 AM

Marinade or Rub when smoking?
I am smoking a lamb for the first time to be used for gyros. It will cook at around 230°. Everything I have gathered from this site says to run it for 1-1/2 to 2 hours for a med rare. Since I am smoking slowly with soaked wood chips (apple/pecan mix - no charcoal), would a marinade possibly "over soak" the meat for smoking and I should just use a rub? Or can I do both if I leave the meat out for an hour or so to get to room temp? Or should I just go rub heavy?

Any other suggestions would be great.

deguerre 05-02-2013 10:10 AM

With lamb, less is more. A simple rub with celery salt and course black pepper is sometimes all you need. Of course, we have marinated overnight too (Most recently a Tandoori marinade) and gone the olive oil/rosemary/garlic/S&P route too. I'd go by internal temp and not time, not letting it go over 140 IT at the absolute top temp.