-   Q-talk (
-   -   So my smoker tried to burn my house down... (

DirtyChurro 04-23-2013 09:46 PM

So my smoker tried to burn my house down...
The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero. :clap2:

bbqbull 04-23-2013 09:47 PM

You sir are very very lucky that your son came home and tended to the problem.

BBQ Bandit 04-23-2013 09:48 PM

Dayum!!!! Talking about a close call!!
Glad to hear everyone's safe after that one.

J'ville Grill 04-23-2013 09:49 PM

You owe him big time. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Mark Warren 04-23-2013 09:50 PM

Wow I am so glad your son is OK.

oifmarine2003 04-23-2013 09:55 PM


charrederhead 04-23-2013 09:55 PM

Better to be lucky than good, as they say. Good job by the boy!

I don't understand- how was the propane on? Did you leave it on while away?

landarc 04-23-2013 10:13 PM

Your son is a calm young man. To act quickly and calmly like that? Impressive

code3rrt 04-23-2013 10:13 PM

Big time cudos to your son!!!!!!

Also a very good cautionary tale for us all, we tend to get "to comfy" with our fires sometimes, you gotta keep a close eye on things ALL the time!


jmoney7269 04-23-2013 10:17 PM

This kinda seems like one of those candle in the window sill stories.
What was your propane pit doing on while nobody was at home?

FireNorm 04-23-2013 10:21 PM

Take him to your local fire station,I'm sure those guys would be more than happy to show y'all around, bring everything full circle for the hero of the day

DirtyChurro 04-23-2013 10:23 PM

Yeah. I got "too comfy". I ran out on an errand. :oops:

J'ville Grill 04-23-2013 10:41 PM


Originally Posted by DirtyChurro (Post 2458604)
Yeah. I got "too comfy". I ran out on an errand. :oops:

Beer run eh?

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 04-23-2013 11:04 PM

Way to go kid! :clap:

HankB 04-23-2013 11:18 PM

Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours. :twitch:

I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.

Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.


I'm glad your son was there to intervene.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.