The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Healing Brisket (pron) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159009)

thaifighter06 04-19-2013 11:11 AM

Healing Brisket (pron)

Well, it's been a little while since my last post. It feels good to let my emotions for meat pour out onto my work computer.

A slight back story, my uncle has not had many happy days in his life. He has always been a relatively bitter dude. I don't think it's anything in particular, just a short tempered, sunny side down kind of guy.

Irregardless (not a word), he has recently been diagnosed with some serious cancer. He has 4 kids (2 in college) and a life he doesn't necessarily want to give up just yet (understandably). One thing we do have in common (other than our mutual love and respect for my Ducati) is that he loves BBQ (especially brisket). He has a Kamado in his back yard and we've talked at length (for him that's a whole 2 minutes) about brisket.

I decided to snag a few flats when I was at Costco last week (they don't have the full packer for some reason) and I threw one on the BGE this last Saturday morning. Did the standard S+P with a little Bovine Bold to finish it off and cooked about 9 hrs at 250 with oak and hickory.

I also got a new Victorinox slicing knife, which did a FANTASTIC job.

I showed up at his house around 5:45pm, knocked on the door with an aluminum tray full of brisket in hand, the look on his face could have lit the Washington Memorial.

Food (BBQ) is the fabric of our lives.

code3rrt 04-19-2013 11:19 AM

Way to go! Looks like some fine brisket there.

Certainly hope things go well for the family in these tough times.

KC

Mo-Dave 04-19-2013 11:22 AM

Well good on ya, not only does that look great, you put a heck of a bright spot in his day.
Dave

Nutz4bbq 04-19-2013 11:44 AM

my prayers to your family... great looking brisket!!

P.S. the brisket pron put a smile on my face too!!

Stoke&Smoke 04-19-2013 11:52 AM

Beautiful brisket! Sorry for his recent diagnosis

prayers sent from a recent cancer survivor

cowgirl 04-19-2013 11:53 AM

Way to go!!
Hope all goes well for your uncle. Will keep you all in my thoughts.

Smoothsmoke 04-19-2013 12:07 PM

Hope your uncle fights it off man. Great looking brisky.

Big George's BBQ 04-19-2013 12:20 PM

Brisket looks Great Good luck to your uncle

LMAJ 04-19-2013 12:35 PM

Brisket is looking good.
What you did was a class act.

JS-TX 04-19-2013 12:41 PM

Nice brisket! Awesome that it made your uncle smile, hope he drops that cancer like a bad habit!

Mason Dixon Bowhunta 04-19-2013 02:17 PM

What a great gesture. I hope everything works out for him.

Garrett 04-19-2013 02:28 PM

I never really understood how big a small meal could to mean to someone until a few years ago my wife badly broke her leg and was bed ridden for 8 weeks and we were brought meals a couple times a week. Those little things can put a big smile on someone's face and brighten the day for them. Good job brother!! Hope the best for your uncle.

landarc 04-19-2013 02:53 PM

I could be healed by that brisket and I am not even sick

popeye 04-19-2013 03:00 PM

you did good .prayers for your uncle comming your way

jonobacon 04-19-2013 03:29 PM

Man, look at that smoke ring. Nice work!