The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to cut a Picanha (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158898)

Smoothsmoke 04-17-2013 05:58 PM

How to cut a Picanha
 
I'd like to share with you all on how to cut a picanha from a whole top sirloin block. It is quite easy to do. The picanha is the rump cap also known as sirloin cap, NAMP184D.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...picanha1-1.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha2.jpg
Top view

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha3.jpg
Here you can see the picanha. It is the lower muscle with the fat cap on bottom.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha4.jpg
Very easy to separate.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha5.jpg
Follow your knife down the natural seam.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha6.jpg
This is how it looks when you get to the end. Their is a thick layer of fat at the end. That is where you cut to separate the picanha from the rest of the block.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha7.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha8.jpg
bottom view

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/picanha9.jpg

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a.../picanha10.jpg
Trim the thick layer of fat that separated the picanha.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a.../picanha11.jpg
Here is is cleaned up. Removed all the silver skin, fat etc.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a.../picanha12.jpg
Sliced against the grain about an inch and a quarter thick.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a.../picanha13.jpg
Ready for the skewers!!!

Dirtbuddy 04-17-2013 06:03 PM

Nice!

What happens now to it?!?!?! Need moar pics!

chicagokp 04-17-2013 06:03 PM

Oooh...thanks! What do you do with the rest of the cut?

Smoothsmoke 04-17-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagokp (Post 2451400)
Oooh...thanks! What do you do with the rest of the cut?

One part gets cut into medallions, the rest steaks. Thanks!

Gore 04-17-2013 06:14 PM

Wow, that's a great price on a sirloin roast! We never get those at our local Costco.
Thanks for the tutorial.

landarc 04-17-2013 06:39 PM

Oh, that is a a great tutorial, I look forward to your next one on the tri-tip :biggrin1:

That is the kind of post we need to see more of, maybe even add it to a Roadmap, how to find, cut, trim and prepare a cut of meat. BTW, you are far better than I am at getting off that silverskin.

I would add, you do not need to steak and skewer this cut, if you don't have the skewers, you can smoke or reverse sear, even Santa Maria grill this cut of meat and it is terrific.

martyleach 04-17-2013 07:20 PM

Thanks. That was a great tutorial!

Smoothsmoke 04-17-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2451439)
Oh, that is a a great tutorial, I look forward to your next one on the tri-tip :biggrin1:

That is the kind of post we need to see more of, maybe even add it to a Roadmap, how to find, cut, trim and prepare a cut of meat. BTW, you are far better than I am at getting off that silverskin.

I would add, you do not need to steak and skewer this cut, if you don't have the skewers, you can smoke or reverse sear, even Santa Maria grill this cut of meat and it is terrific.

Yup, reverse sear, santa maria, that all works. Just dont take it past medium rare. :mrgreen:

realspaazz 04-17-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2451415)
Wow, that's a great price on a sirloin roast! We never get those at our local Costco.
Thanks for the tutorial.

Ask the meat clerk. Around here, both Sam's and Costco slice the whole top sirloin into steaks to sell. They are usually happy to weigh a whole one up to sell.

I have never seen them out in the case.

2tall 04-17-2013 07:53 PM

Nice post thanks for the pics!

Shooter1 04-18-2013 07:39 AM

Great tutorial, I couldn't quite picture where this cut of meat came from. I have really been wanting to try picanha but am not having any luck. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me buy a whole top sirloin. Seems like a good price to me. :thumb:

SmokinJohn 04-18-2013 07:51 AM

Wow!

I always wondered where the Picanha came from (It's my favorite meat at a churrascaria).My mouth is watering already.

Smoothsmoke 04-18-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooter1 (Post 2451857)
Great tutorial, I couldn't quite picture where this cut of meat came from. I have really been wanting to try picanha but am not having any luck. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me buy a whole top sirloin. Seems like a good price to me. :thumb:

That's why I did this man. My local butcher charges $8/lb for this cut. Fark that!!! Picanha is quite hard to pinpoint as their are tons of misinformation that gets regurgitated throughout the web. Rest assured, this is it!

Big George's BBQ 04-18-2013 10:37 AM

Great tutorial Thanks

cowgirl 04-18-2013 10:56 AM

Great post, thanks for sharing!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.