The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Finally a Weber Kettle! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158692)

LukeRoz 04-14-2013 09:02 PM

Finally a Weber Kettle!

9 Attachment(s)
So I finally found a Weber Kettle on craigslist! It's an 18.5 inch that I got for 20 bucks...was hoping for 15 but I've been wanting one and this was the first one in the area I've seen under 40. It's in pretty good shape and probably would've cooked just fine but I needed a little project to work on. Took it apart this weekend and cleaned and sanded and polished away! Not sure how to clean/restore the actual kettle/lid so any suggestions would be great....

Anyways, here are a bunch of progress pics....

savageford 04-14-2013 09:10 PM

nice find, looks good so far.

1911Ron 04-14-2013 10:00 PM

0000 steel wool will work on the lid and bowl, along with polishing the legs and ash catcher, oh and the vent too:biggrin1: Nice pickup.

When i call the person selling the grill i will usually ask them if they will take a lesser dollar amount, i will give them a number not just will you take less, if not i will really look over the grill and try to talk them down some.

LukeRoz 04-14-2013 10:05 PM

Ya I used steel wool and some metal cleaner/polish on the legs and brackets. Will it scratch and take the black color off the kettle and lid?

1911Ron 04-14-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeRoz (Post 2448257)
Ya I used steel wool and some metal cleaner/polish on the legs and brackets. Will it scratch and take the black color off the kettle and lid?

Nope the guys over at the WKC (Weber kettle club) do a lot of rescues and this is what they do, to rehab a dirty kettle.

mbshop 04-14-2013 11:23 PM

looks like you got a good handle on it. yes, the steel wool will clean it up just fine. just make sureyou washeverything off with soap and water. any left over steel wool will cause or promote rust. raw metal i just coat with a very thin film of pam.

Grain Belt 04-15-2013 08:51 AM

The 18.5 kettle can be a very versitle cooker. It is often overlooked. It is a very effective direct grilling machine obviously. I have done a good deal of indirect cooking too. I use the weber charcoal rails to keep the coals organized and made my own "hover grill" with carriage bolts, washers, and nuts and a smokey joe grate. This then gives me two levels of indirect space. For chicken I just rotate the pieces from upper grate to lower halfway through the cook. I have made many chicken wings tailgating with a 18 1/2 and a hover grill.

HankB 04-15-2013 08:53 AM

Nice work on cleaning up a vintage kettle! :thumb: You should get many fine cooks off that one.

Big George's BBQ 04-15-2013 08:57 AM

That is a Great Find Love the wooden handle

Gilstarr 04-15-2013 10:10 AM

Nice find!! Looks like the cleanup is going well!! You will enjoy it!!:thumb:

ScreamingChicken 04-15-2013 10:40 AM

$20 well-spent, Luke! The 18" is a great "daily driver".